Talk

Advanced search

My 8 year old and panic attacks.

(3 Posts)
blondie1976 Fri 17-Jul-15 21:23:28

My DD is 8 years old and today had quite a bad panic attack.

She is a very anxious child with a severe phobia of blood/pain where her reaction will be to faint.

Today picking her up from my mums, we were just about to leave when suddenly it was like something switched in her, I almost didn't recognise her, you would think something terrible had happened ( it didn't, as I was there). She suddenly started speaking/shouting in a panic, she was dizzy, she couldn't breath, she had to go etc. I calmed her down, then when we were home spoke about how she felt.

She said she felt she couldn't breath, her heart was beating fast, dizzy and belly like a washing machine, but why?

As said she is anxious and nervous, im not sure but I think this stems from me and her dad. He is a cannabis user and dependant on it without his moods are awful and lots of silent treatment to me, in turn I used to also switch of to the treatment, I believe now she picks up on this?

When he is like this I battle on as normal now as im used to it but does she pick up this from me/him?

pause4thought Fri 07-Aug-15 00:15:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Littlefiendsusan Fri 07-Aug-15 00:34:31

I'm sorry your dd is experiencing this. As a fellow panic attack sufferer ( my last attack had me stopped by the side of the road flagging cars down as I was convinced I was about to die)
Attacks usually happen ( to me) after a period of stress.
Prolonged lack of sleep makes me have mini attacks that I can instantly recognise and quell.
The symptoms she feels is her body's response to adrenaline.
I think you know that her home life isn't the best environment for her.
flowers to you both, it's horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now