Talk

Advanced search

Baby not crawling at 10 months - worried!

(27 Posts)
Jellybellymoo Fri 17-Jul-15 20:15:44

My little boy was 10 months early this month and is still not crawling, he rolls, sits up by himself and goes from sitting to crawling position but just hasn't figured out how to move forward! All of the baby groups I attend all of the babies his age are crawling and moving around, I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one with a non-crawling baby! HV says he's developing fine and not to worry, but obviously as mums we still do! Just wondered if anyone else had the same thing with their little ones?

HumphreyCobbler Fri 17-Jul-15 20:17:41

My best friend had a baby who never crawled, just went straight to walking on his first birthday. He is now a really good athlete aged 10 whilst my crawling and extremely active baby turned into a total exercise avoider.

Iloveonionchutney Fri 17-Jul-15 20:19:35

I have a friend who's dd has only just started crawling at 15 months! She's just not in a rush to go anywhere, if he's developing ok try not to worry, he'll do it in his own time.

patterkiller Fri 17-Jul-15 20:23:30

Both my Neices were still sitting without an urge to crawl at twelve months. They were both super contented babies, I think they just couldn't be arsed. The both were walking a few months later. Dont worry he will surprise you when you least expect it.

Jellybellymoo Fri 17-Jul-15 20:25:31

I've tried putting toys in front of him etc but if he sees it's out of his reach he just gives up! He just seems happy where he is, he's never been a fan of tummy time either which probably doesn't help! It's just hard when all these mums look at you like an alien when i tell them he's 10 months and not crawling!

Bedsheets4knickers Fri 17-Jul-15 20:27:32

Both mine late around 10-11 months . 1 walked at 12 months 1 was 20 months x

Bexleymum Fri 17-Jul-15 20:36:39

Dd1 crawled at 11 months, walked at 15 months, dd2 crawled for the first time today at 9 months, but she has always been in more of a hurry to get somewhere. Dd1 just wasn't that bothered. Both crawled for the first time when I left my phone unattended on the floor. Needed to a high value temptation lol.

TheOriginalWinkly Fri 17-Jul-15 20:39:16

DH's niece had only started crawling around her1st birthday and now she's a very active 8 year old doing ballet, gymnastics and running everywhere. Don't worry!

girliefriend Fri 17-Jul-15 20:40:09

My dd didn't move till nearly 11 months but was standing by her 1st bday and walked shortly after.

I wouldn't worry, in fact make the most of it life is much more stressful when they are mobile grin

LadyPlumpington Fri 17-Jul-15 20:40:39

Mne started crawling at 11.5 mo and walked at 16mo. Don't worry.

suicra Fri 17-Jul-15 20:46:22

My second never crawled. Walked at 15 months then started crawling. Not all babies crawl.

Lottiedoubtie Fri 17-Jul-15 20:47:20

I'm currently having the same stress OP- my DS is the same age as yours, and frankly I don't think he can be bothered to crawl! Sometimes I'm grateful and other times I'm irrationally worried sick- you are not alone!

Orangeisthenewbanana Fri 17-Jul-15 20:47:24

My DD crawled at 10.5 months. She was the last of the babies in our NCT group to do so. She was walking by 14 months and was the second/third to do so. Crawling isn't used as a developmental milestone anymore as a significant number of babies don't ever do it. He sounds like he's doing fine otherwise, and will probably just surprise you out of the blue one day by crawling towards something he really shouldn't! I know how hard it is to feel your baby is lagging behind the others but a paeds physio colleague once said to me that babies work on different things at different times. Some will focus on speech first, or upper limb dexterity, or walking, or crawling. The other stuff just gets left for a wee while until they're interested in doing it!

suicra Fri 17-Jul-15 20:48:16

Edited. Never crawled before walking!! When did crawl it wasn't for long! Walking was quicker.

Blueskies80 Fri 17-Jul-15 20:49:53

My ds didn't crawl until he was a year old and didnt get going with walking until 19 months! Just very chilled boy. His elder sister was 10.5 months crawling and 17 for walking-late movers here but early talkers!
They get there in their own time- just enjoy him! (Plus once they move you have to watch them more grin)

Shootingstarsandcomets Fri 17-Jul-15 21:23:09

I have two boys. One crawled at 10.5 months and walked a week after his first birthday. My second crawled at 8 months as he was so desperate to be after his big brother, he didn't walk unaided until 15 months though. They are all different, don't worry, a lot of babies don't crawl.

NotAQueef Fri 17-Jul-15 21:33:29

Perfectly normal. Ds didn't crawl til 11 months or so, was cruising a week or so later but then didn't walk unaided until 15 months.
Before 11 months he just rolled across the room. They find their own way in their own time. Enjoy the fact that you can leave the room and return without your,baby getting into mischief!

ToddleWaddle Fri 17-Jul-15 21:39:20

My dd did a type of monkey crawl at 11 months and walked at 12 months. At 2yrs she will occasionally crawl properly!

soundsystem Fri 17-Jul-15 21:41:11

Yep, some babies just don't crawl! My DSis stuck to bum shuffling and walked at 12 months.

snowmummy Fri 17-Jul-15 21:41:36

Lots of reassuring stories here. It's normal, stop worrying.

bobthebuddha Fri 17-Jul-15 21:50:42

My DD never crawled, just sat viewing the world around her with great suspicion until she could be bothered to stand up and walk, which was quite late in itself. I frankly found it preferable to DS who speed crawled as far away from me as possible at every opportunity, which meant very short conversations at meet-ups! Don't worry about it smile

Darcourse Fri 17-Jul-15 21:58:49

It's not that the other mums think you are an alien - they are jealous that you don't have to run around after him stopping him from getting into all sorts of things he shouldn't!

If HV is happy that he's developing fine, then relax and enjoy it as it gets harder once they're on the move.

Btw, my DS didn't crawl until a week before his first birthday, then walked at about 15 months.

RunningJumpingClimbingTrees Sat 18-Jul-15 10:41:42

Honestly enjoy the peace, once they move they never stop. grin

UseHerName Sat 18-Jul-15 10:58:34

Mine never crawled.walked at 16 months

Jellybellymoo Sat 18-Jul-15 23:04:00

Wow thank you all for all of your supportive messages! This has made me feel so much better smile I have been worrying myself silly thinking perhaps I have been doing something wrong! It's nice to know I'm not alone and there's a lot of other mums in the same boat! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now