Talk

Advanced search

Newborn scratch on face

(12 Posts)
HelenF35 Fri 17-Jul-15 18:01:34

Hi. My newborn has a red scratch on his face, looks nasty but hasn't broken the skin. He caught it on a sharp edge on my clothes. Is there anything I can do for it? DP is worried it may scar but it hasn't even broken the skin so I can't imagine it would? Feel so guilty sad

Meloria Fri 17-Jul-15 18:04:27

Of course it won't scar.

PotteringAlong Fri 17-Jul-15 18:07:22

It will be gone on a few days! Definitely won't scar.

jimijack Fri 17-Jul-15 18:08:21

Leave it alone.
Brand new babies have magical healing skin. It will be gone n 24 hours.

My new born had deep scratches all over his lower back and bottom, they had gone in a week.

seaoflove Fri 17-Jul-15 18:09:05

It's true, scratches on babies disappear really quickly.

HelenF35 Fri 17-Jul-15 18:25:46

Thanks, feel really terrible. Still in the slightly over emotional stage after giving birth. DP is not really helping making me feel worse than I already do, although I don't think he means to. Just taking it a bit personally at the minute.

jimijack Fri 17-Jul-15 18:29:27

Guilt at every turn.
I remember sobbing over my baby because his blanket had come off his tummy and his legs felt cold, fucking stupid but I watched over him worried to death it would happen again.
Felt like the worst mother ever to walk.

cluelessnchaos Fri 17-Jul-15 18:30:52

Oh bless, honestly it will be upsetting you so much more than baby. Mine would never keep scratch mitts on and the scratches would look really red and angry for some reason, but others have said they go in a day or two. Completely off topic Id love a squeeze with a newborn

LadyOrangutan Fri 17-Jul-15 18:38:51

Just in case it lasts more than a few days, don't worry it will fade. DS scratched him self with his nail on the face when he was tiny. It took weeks for the red to fade, and after that I could still see the mark in certain light but it completely completely faded within about 3 months. So even if it lasts a while, it won't have scarred.

And my DH (accidentally) made me feel guilty about wearing perfume when DS was tiny in case it wasn't good for his lungs. hmm
All newmums worry and people will always say the wrong thing.
It will be okay xx

HelenF35 Sat 18-Jul-15 16:06:04

I feel so stupid, it's nearly gone today. What a fuss about nothing!

LadyOrangutan Sat 18-Jul-15 18:56:58

Don't worry! We've all been there x

EatDessertFirst Sat 18-Jul-15 19:38:33

My DD had huge marks right down both sides of her face and a strange shaped head from our lovely hmm forceps delivery. The marks were gone within two days.
Please don't worry about fussing. We have most definately all been there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now