Talk

Advanced search

Sick to death of DD hitting me

(11 Posts)
evilgiraffe Thu 16-Jul-15 12:29:04

DD is 12 months, and seems to love walloping me in the face and stealing my glasses (this smearing them with fingerprints so I can't see properly). I try to maintain the inner mantra of "she's just a baby", but it makes me so angry.

I can switch back to wearing contacts instead of glasses, I suppose, but my vision is much better with glasses, not to mention the expense. And she still hits me in the face anyway.

Any thoughts/ideas gratefully received smile

gamerchick Thu 16-Jul-15 12:31:39

What do you do when she does it?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 16-Jul-15 12:34:55

Put her down and walk away.

If she does it again, put her down and walk away.

She'll get the message soon enough.

If she grabs your glasses, then hold her wrist ( not hard) but firm enough so she can't damage them until she lets go.

I wear glasses too , I remember ds doing the same once or twice but I soon put a stop to it!

Jackie0 Thu 16-Jul-15 12:37:12

Dame D has it right

evilgiraffe Thu 16-Jul-15 12:41:52

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to do (though obviously difficult when she's hitting me on the way downstairs!), but it's taking a while to sink in. Will attempt to be more ruthless!

evilgiraffe Thu 16-Jul-15 12:42:05

Thank you smile

Snowflakepie Thu 16-Jul-15 12:42:34

DS tried this, I was having none of it and basically did as Dame describes above. Put him down, said no, walked away. Every time. He got the hint after about 5 times and hasn't tried since. The glasses very occasionally get knocked off but not deliberately. All the adults in our family wear glasses and I couldn't have him thinking it was ok to do that. Glasses are expensive, especially the in laws varifocals!

Stay with it, they will soon understand that grabbing glasses means no fun with mummy. Good luck.

Snowflakepie Thu 16-Jul-15 12:44:32

I also found ways of carrying DS where his arms were away from me so he couldn't do it in situations like you describe, going downstairs. Hold them in front facing away from you, either under the knees or just round the body. Under my arm also worked. Once they get it you can go back to whatever you prefer!

BarbarianMum Thu 16-Jul-15 12:57:49

<Put her down and walk away.>

This really does work if you keep doing it. If you are out and about put her straight in the car seat/pushchair and ignore her for a minute.

Having said which, memory-flex glasses are your friend at this age.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 16-Jul-15 14:13:03

Yeah, hold her facing away from you coming down the stairs.

pause4thought Fri 07-Aug-15 00:16:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now