Talk

Advanced search

Getting 2 Year Old to Stay in Bed

(18 Posts)
Kel2013 Tue 14-Jul-15 12:37:03

Just turned cotbed im to bed this month and having problems getting my DS to stay in the bed. We have tried ignoring him and putting him straight back in without giving him any attention but he just gets straight back up and turns it on to a game. Took us 2 hours to get him to stay in bed last night. He only stayed in bed after we put him in the naughty step for getting back up. I know it was wrong to do that but it did work!! Anyone got any tips other that the naughty step? sad

PosterEh Tue 14-Jul-15 12:39:05

What worked for us was: toddler-proof room, stairgate on door, ignore.

slightlyconfused85 Tue 14-Jul-15 15:37:14

Put him back once, explain what you expect of him, childproof his room and ignore. He will soon get bored

odyssey2001 Tue 14-Jul-15 18:12:02

Gro Clock and stairgate on door.
I don't think a time out in that situation was the wrong way to go either.

RatOnnaStick Tue 14-Jul-15 18:15:18

We did exactly what PosterEh and slightlyconfused85 did earlier this month. Left him to fall asleep on the floor (on a spare duvet) and/or under the bed. Put him back in bed once he was asleep. Repeated until said toddler got the idea and now a couple of weeks later he is happily climbing into bed and staying there sideways over the pillow sans duvet cover

Persistence and ignoring him is the key.

GreenBoatRedBoat Tue 14-Jul-15 18:26:52

We have stair gate on door. She generally reads/plays then goes to sleep. Helps if she doesn't nap in day and is tired enough for bed, else it's a nightmare of running about in her room. Sadly this doesn't work in the mornings and she hangs off the stair gate shouting until we go in :-(

Jedi1 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:58:57

Gate on the door here too.

Ahemily Wed 15-Jul-15 10:43:09

Groclock combined with a gold star system for staying in bed worked here - five stars in a row and he gets a treat of some kind

Kel2013 Wed 15-Jul-15 22:05:51

Thanks for the replys! We have been more calmer and giving him less attention the past few nights in our reaction to him getting out bed. Still taking about an hour for him to stay on bed. For those of you that use the groclock- At what age did you introduce it? Is age 2 too young?

Ahemily Thu 16-Jul-15 07:32:45

Hi kel, glad things are improving. My DS was 2.4 when we introduced it and it worked. Good luck!

villainousbroodmare Sun 19-Jul-15 00:08:00

I saw where someone had taken an ordinary cheap kitchen clock and coloured it in like a pie chart from say 4-6 in red (stay in bed), 6-7 in yellow (play quietly) and 7-8 green for go.

talulahbeige Sun 19-Jul-15 08:50:26

Ahemily, how old is your little one?

My 2.4 is currently doing this and it's got a little better now we sit in her room till she calms down, lights off and if she sits up we tell her to lie down, If she ignores we lay her down, she soon gets bored and drops off. It also helps if we stay calm and don't show our frustration.
We have a gro clock and she understands the concept but still ignores it!

Ahemily Sun 19-Jul-15 09:05:50

Hi talulah, everything you've said is so familiar! DS is 3 now - it's taken a while to get here but he does now stay in bed - he knows that if he doesn't, he doesn't get a treat on Friday. As frustrating as it is, we've found the 'carrot' to be much more effective than the 'stick'! Good luck, it does get so much easier thanks

talulahbeige Sun 19-Jul-15 13:43:21

Thanks ahemily, so you started at a similar age to mine with the reward chart? Just wondering if she's too young yet or wether to give it a go

Kel2013 Sun 19-Jul-15 14:11:55

Im awaiting my gro clock. We have indroduced a sticker chart also. He does get the concept and tells us he is going to stay in bed so he can put a sticker on the chart but still gets up and giggles away when we go up to put him back in bed. He is getting slightly better but im hoping the clock helps.

Ahemily Mon 20-Jul-15 11:18:23

Hi talulah, DS was around the same age when we started the reward system - not entirely convinced he got it straight a way, but repetition was key (yawn!)

Twinwife Tue 21-Jul-15 07:22:11

We are in the same situation. Have blackout blind and stairgate at the door. He has had a groclock for a while but it doesn't seem to be working anymore. We were at the stage of sitting in with him for an hour (or two) for him to sleep shock
Then he hasn't a sleepover at th in laws and slept beautifully.... Tough love now. We started rapid return to bed last night and he screamed the place down, but after 75 returns he suddenly went to sleep, not ideal but we are desperate!

Ahemily Tue 21-Jul-15 11:08:22

Just remembered, before DS completely mastered the art of staying in bed, I used to tell him I'd be back in 5 minutes to check him, and why didn't he spend the time making up a story in his head to tell me when I returned. Nine times out of ten he'd be asleep by the time I came back - I think it was the knowledge that I was coming back that relaxed him. On the one time out of ten that he didn't nod off, I'd be regaled with a crazy toddler story which was quite amusing. grin Hope this helps a bit - good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now