Talk

Advanced search

Can I ask some advice please - 2 week old baby

(22 Posts)
Overtiredbackagain Tue 14-Jul-15 06:42:42

DC3 is two weeks old, formula fed and not had a poo for two days. She farts and strains but nothing.

I've started massaging her stomach. Should I introduce some water? And if so, how much?

TIA

fhdl34 Tue 14-Jul-15 06:46:31

I don't know about formula feeding but I think it is a blanket rule with all babies regardless of how they are fed that you shouldn't give them water. You could ring your health visitor for advice. My son could go up to 4 days without pooing and he was breastfed, it was awful because he was so uncomfortable. My friend's daughter used to go up to 10 days in between but it didn't bother her. I learnt baby massage from YouTube videos to help my son, and lots of leg cycling. You can buy weleda tummy massage oil from boots, that is what I used

Nolim Tue 14-Jul-15 06:47:47

Yy to ring hv

WelcomeToTheBungle Tue 14-Jul-15 06:49:25

Massage after a deep warm bath might really help.

Missdee2014 Tue 14-Jul-15 06:51:19

Water is fine, in fact, formula fed babies should get a little water regularly anyway. Have you tried opening baby's nappy and gently wiping his bum with a wipe or similar? Sometimes this stimulates them to open their bowels. Poor baby hope he's not sore.

BeautifulBatman Tue 14-Jul-15 06:51:26

What formula are you using?

Missdee2014 Tue 14-Jul-15 06:51:42

She not he sorry.

FairyPenguin Tue 14-Jul-15 06:51:52

I was taught to massage in a backwards C on their tummy. That follows the shape of the intestines.

But yes, speak to Health Visitor.

FairyPenguin Tue 14-Jul-15 06:53:07

Oh and the other thing is to take nappy off and press legs up gently to and from their body. Knees bent.

Superworm Tue 14-Jul-15 07:00:58

No need for water until they are six months and on solids. That's for all babies regardless if how they are fed. I would continue with the massage and speak to your HV for advice

Overtiredbackagain Tue 14-Jul-15 07:01:59

Advice changes all the time?! When I had DS who is 10, I was advised water with the smallest amount of sugar in it, that always worked!

Peyton is on Aptamil, no worries up til now and I just feel like a silly neurotic mother all over again, not a mother of three!

She's fine in herself, not in pain or uncomfortable and just slept 8 hours from 10pm to 6am grin

Superworm Tue 14-Jul-15 07:02:15

Sorry just seen you baby is two weeks old. Are you still under the midwives? I would ring them

Overtiredbackagain Tue 14-Jul-15 07:03:17

Midwife signed us off on Friday.

Superworm Tue 14-Jul-15 07:06:28

Speak to the HV this morning then. Water and interfere with feeding at this age. How often and how much are you feeding?

JontyDoggle37 Tue 14-Jul-15 07:07:16

Our baby is 9 weeks and suffered with bad constipation and wind. Current guidance is to give a little cooled boiled water, and a bath. The baby massage and leg cycling/bending up can also be very helpful. If it continues to be an issue (ours started with this at two weeks) you may want to consider going on to Aptamil Comfort milk, which is for Colic and Constipation, but discuss this with your Health Visitor.

Superworm Tue 14-Jul-15 07:07:24

Can

Overtiredbackagain Tue 14-Jul-15 07:08:23

She's taking 120 mls every 3-4 hours, apart from overnight, as she sleeps through pretty much.

Tried leaving a message for HV team but they are not in until tomorrow!

Superworm Tue 14-Jul-15 07:29:45

I which case, I would try the midwives at 8am for advice and catch them before they head out for the day.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 14-Jul-15 07:38:10

I found a warm bath followed by a massage on the tum and then bicycle their legs for a bit. They will sometimes just not go for a couple of days then one day go like five times.

IWantDogger Tue 14-Jul-15 07:44:43

Are you using powder or ready made? My hv said that the powder can constipate them a bit more than ready made so she told me if dd got constipated when I was transitioning her from part bf to all formula that having some ready made feeds would help. Something to do with the lactose in the ready made.

ExitStageLeft Tue 14-Jul-15 07:50:36

Give her a bottle of the ready made stuff.

BornIn2000 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:30:08

My 9 week old doesn't poo every day. He only poos every 2 or 3 days. I told the hv and she asked if he appeared to be in any pain/struggling, which he isn't, so she didn't seem too concerned. She said I can do bicycle legs with him and gently lift his knees to his chest and try a bit of baby massage and tummy time. She told me not to give water, ever.
She said it might just be the way he is, which I think it is. He still only poos every other day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now