Talk

Advanced search

20 month old not talking

(13 Posts)
LaraNotCroft22 Mon 13-Jul-15 21:35:40

Hi all.

I have a ds who is bright and understands everything I say, but doesn't talk yet. We get a bit of 'yeah yeah yeah' 'mum mum mum' and he tries to say dog, but that's about it.

Starting to wonder if he should be talking more by now or if it's normal? He's always been very chilled out and like a I said before I know he understands an awful lot.

He claps/waves and blows kisses etc but only fairly recently.

Anyone had similar or should I be concerned?

Thank you :-)

bakingtins Tue 14-Jul-15 07:30:43

Talking point website checklist for 18-24m
I think you need to ask HV for a referral for SALT assessment or see if there are drop in sessions locally. There are often long waiting lists for treatment, you might find his expressive language suddenly catches up with receptive (understood) language in the meantime, but if not, you are 'in the system'.

rambunctious Tue 14-Jul-15 07:37:25

If it's any consolation, apparently I didn't start talking until after my second birthday - and then I went straight onto sentences!
I'm now an English teacher smile

gubbinsy Tue 14-Jul-15 08:28:49

My 20 month is very similar. Has a few words and understands an awful lot. He also babbles a lot and sounds like he's talking but actual words very slow. I keep wondering whether to call HV!

LaraNotCroft22 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:06:30

Thank you for the comments. I think I will mention it to the Gp when next in, just to get their opinion.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Tue 14-Jul-15 20:09:59

The range of normal at this age is huge. My DD is 20 months too and has about 50 words, which she is just starting to put together in 2-3 word sentences. My MIL is convinced she is behind as apparently DH spoke in full sentences at 14 months! There is such a wide range and eventually they all get there! It wouldn't hurt to speak to your GP or HV though, as a pp says there's a long waiting list for intervention so it would make sense to get on the list. If things change in the meantime then you don't have to go!

Flissity83 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:15:11

I went to HV with same concern and was told they'd expect 50 words by 2.5 years. My 20 month old is only just saying a bit more now but is still very minimal so I wouldn't panic yet

Buttwing Tue 14-Jul-15 20:18:40

Op he sounds just like my Ds who is now 22months. I've found he has improved a lot over the last couple of weeks it seems to kind of click. I have 4 dc and they have all started talking at different ages, one had amazing speech by 18 months, Ds is a little slower but has really good physical skills. I know it's hard but try not to worry and I would ignore that quiz it's utter shite

MrsHathaway Tue 14-Jul-15 20:22:27

Sounds just like mine. He is DC3 and the other two were only fractionally ahead at the same age but were indistinguishable from any other child soon after their second birthdays so I'm not worrying yet.

If he understands well and is trying then I wouldn't panic yet. That said, SALT referrals can be very slow so it might be worth getting on the waiting list just in case. Your GP or HV would be a good first port of call

LaraNotCroft22 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:54:59

Thanks guys.

He definitely understands a lot and answers yes or no by shaking it nodding his head. I'm hoping it will click soon, he's never been particularly noisy so I'm hoping he's just being lazy!

He's doing very well physically, jumping/climbing etc so fingers crossed the speech will catch up.

bakingtins Wed 15-Jul-15 14:43:40

Talking point is the website for Ican, a speech and language charity recommended by SALTs buttwing but hey, what would they know? confused

LostMySocks Wed 15-Jul-15 19:58:18

DS is 21 months. Can't run, jump or climb but has suddenly picked up lots of words. One of his friends is 2 weeks younger. Great at physical things but only about 3 words. They all develop differently.
IFt your DS understands that means that he can hear and will probably catch up soon.

pause4thought Fri 07-Aug-15 00:17:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now