Talk

Advanced search

2 year old hardly eating

(2 Posts)
Newtobecomingamum Sun 12-Jul-15 18:51:58

My 2.1 year old is hardly eating. Will eat fruit, beans and a bit of toast, any type of cake or treat, but won't eat a proper breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I've tried little bits, picky bits like cooked veg sticks & cheese, picnic play, varieties of different food, different temps for food and just don't eat it.

He sometimes demands a chocolate eggy (kinder egg) as this is his weekly treat once a week and when we say no he just chucks his good away. I've even tried bribing him with a chocolate eggy to eat first but no refuses.

I let him get messy with food, not fussed as long as he would eat. He can't survive on fruit, beans and toast forever! Is this just a phase? Any tips please?

TheHouseOnBellSt Sun 12-Jul-15 20:30:56

Just keep offering him a good range of foods. He will eventually eat them....vary what's there but don't stress or over encourage him.

It is just a phase...one of my DDs was the same but would only eat cucumbers and ham! One week she went days on milk and cucumbers...now she's 7 and eats curry, all veg, fish...sushi...anything!

I kept putting a variety of things on her plate plus what I knew she'd eat and I also let her "help me cook" which meant making pizzas from a basic base....letting her spread the tomato puree on and put the other bits and bobs on....then let her watch it go in the oven and made a big fuss about how beautiful it was and how she'd cooked it.

There are other things you can do to involve him like letting him "cut" mushrooms with a table knife, letting him "stir" the salad and letting him help you to grow things like cress in pots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now