Talk

Advanced search

9 month old lost all interest in milk

(12 Posts)
mandbaby Wed 08-Jul-15 09:58:14

My baby girl is 9 months old and we've done baby led weaning with her. As such, she eats what we eat as a family (i.e. no purees) and she eats REALLY well - she absolutely loves her food and there seems to be no filling her! However, she now seems to have lost all interest in milk. I have mainly breastfed her but have always given her a bottle of fomula before bed or when out and about.

At the moment, apart from her bedtime bottle (where she will drink no more than 5oz), she doesn't seem to want much milk at all, either from me or a bottle. I'm guessing she drinks no more than 10-12oz a day in total. I know they're SUPPOSED to be having 20+ oz a day so I do try and up her calcium intake with yoghurts, cheese, etc.

Just wondering if anyone else's LO turned their noses up at milk at such a young age.

RunningJumpingClimbingTrees Wed 08-Jul-15 10:17:18

I'm in same position except I don't have a formula bottle. my baby just doesn't seem interested most days and there is no way she is getting 20oz but then I have never known how much she is getting.

What I do see is she is healthy and strong and loves her food. she does take some milk and a wee bit during the night too so I am not too worried about her.

lexyloub Wed 08-Jul-15 10:30:24

Milk added to her food such as porridge or weetabix or in mashed potatoes scrambled egg also contributes to her milk intake. I wouldn't worry too much about it if she's eating plenty and a variety of different things she'll be getting everything she needs from that.

mandbaby Wed 08-Jul-15 10:39:21

Thanks ladies. She definitely has a wide variery of food and eats a lot of fruit and vegetables, so I know she's getting plenty of vitamins/minerals, etc, so I will try to worry less.

Because she's doing baby led weaning and I just let her feed herself (she doesn't like to be spoon fed) breakfasts are hard to get milk in her (she usually has toast/teacake/fruit bread/crumpets). I have given her cornflakes with just enough milk to make the flakes soft, and that works well, but when I tried weetabix and porridge, more of it ended up in her hair than in her mouth - and dried porridge/weetabix is NOT the easiest thing to get out of hair!!

RunningJumpingClimbingTrees Wed 08-Jul-15 15:06:04

I still get away with spoon feeding weetabix with yogurt in but she manages to get it everywhere....it's is like cement to get off haha

Littlef00t Wed 08-Jul-15 18:31:47

Dd has mini shredded wheat as they go soft but not mushy and she can pick them up herself.

EatDessertFirst Wed 08-Jul-15 21:28:39

My DD point blank refused milk at about ten months. Now, at 6.5yo she will just about tolerate a splash of milk on her cereal. She is normal weight, perfect teeth etc.
I wouldn't panic if I were you. As long as you DD is having plenty of other dairy and enjoying a varied diet (which it sounds like she definately is!) she'll be fine.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 09-Jul-15 08:07:51

No matter how many times you be in a day, your baby will take roughly the same amount over 24 hours.

icklekid Thu 09-Jul-15 08:39:08

Ds very similar started refusing milk at 5/6 months then only had morning and night from 8 months ish. He would have porridge but bottles were only 6oz and sometimes a struggle to get him to take them... now at a year he loves his bottles and new battle is moving to cups! Urgh! He has always been a pickle though refused breastfeeding at 3 months then refused bottles and didn't really know what to do other than keep offering!

RachieS1986 Fri 10-Jul-15 10:09:59

ds1 (now 3) went through a similar thing at that age. He seemed to not want the bottle but would quite happily drink from a sippy cup.

Metalhead Fri 10-Jul-15 19:35:54

My DD also stopped having milk apart from one bedtime bottle at 9 months. Just wasn't interested anymore. I don't think you have anything to worry about, just make sure she gets other things like cheese, yogurts etc and keeps hydrated with water.

Happyyellowcar Fri 10-Jul-15 19:45:11

I am in the same position but my DD was only 8mnths yesterday. She currently has a tiny bit after her breakfast, a bit in the afternoon and her before bed feed which she still has most of. She's never had a big appetite compared to DS1&2 and is also going BLW. She lost interest in milk really quickly after starting to eat proper food. The only thing she will take off a spoon in yoghurt so she has at least one a day - breakfast is usually a disaster although she sometimes eats handfuls of v thick porridge mixed with mashed banana. I'm trying not to worry as she seems happy and is following her curve x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now