Talk

Advanced search

Question about holidays and sleeping arrangements

(15 Posts)
Taler Wed 01-Jul-15 12:56:23

Want to take DD abroad this year (first holiday abroad, she'll be 22 months when we go). She will sleep in a cot and we are looking at apartments as well as hotel rooms.

But where do your LOs sleep when you take them on holiday? It seems with apartments she would have to be in with us otherwise it'd b in he living area. Neither is ideal! Would have hoped for second bedroom but more expensive.

What's the "norm"?

Thanks

lexyloub Wed 01-Jul-15 14:40:22

Usually a cot in our bedroom

GingerDoodle Wed 01-Jul-15 16:17:05

Our DD who is now 2.9 hasn't been in with us since she was 18 months when away unless it could not be avoided!

Taler Wed 01-Jul-15 16:18:29

GingerDoodle - so does that mean she was in the living area then?

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Wed 01-Jul-15 17:03:58

could you hire a 1 bed apt that has a sofa bed? then she could sleep in the bedroom and you still enjoy your evening!

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Wed 01-Jul-15 17:04:17

I mean sofa bed in the living area

MoragG Wed 01-Jul-15 22:12:42

This is why we opt for self catering!

AuditAngel Wed 01-Jul-15 22:14:13

We normally stay in a 2 bed with all 3 kids together.

BuildYourOwnSnowman Wed 01-Jul-15 22:16:10

When we had one - in with us. When we had two - adjoining room.

Never spoilt our evenings!

Artandco Wed 01-Jul-15 22:16:27

We always just share bedroom ( and often the bed) with the children

43cupsoftea Wed 01-Jul-15 22:20:15

Until DS was about 3, he came in with us, first in a cotbed, then a sofa bed/camp bed. Always self-catering as it allowed us to have an evening once he was in bed. Didn't fancy spending a week having every evening sat quietly in a hotel room!

Artandco Wed 01-Jul-15 22:23:40

We always taker ours out in the evening for dinner/ beach walks/ drinks etc anyway so by the time Back in hotel it's time for adults to go to bed also ( take pram or sling when smaller). Now at 4 and 5 they just have a long siesta after lunch then stay up, or fall asleep on our laps out if needed

LAB123 Fri 03-Jul-15 18:55:42

Just back from holiday with 11 month old. Had a villa so she had her own room for most of it. Friends came to stay for a week so she had to sleep in our room. Nightmare. Awake at 4am with no chance of settling her. Will definitely make sure she always has her own room in future. I even contemplated moving her cot into the bathroom I was so desperate for her to sleep properly. I didn't though!!

MrsHathaway Fri 03-Jul-15 19:17:33

Separate once they're out of a (travel) cot. DC3 is in with us camping and will be 21m when we go this summer. The older ones are on their own in the same tent but a different "bedroom".

In hotels we all share. I find it very restrictive but we don't have hotel holidays so it's more for weddings or en route for big holidays so only one night at a time. We get naice hotels for free with DH's loyalty points (travels for work a lot) but you're still all on top of each other.

backtowork2015 Wed 08-Jul-15 21:25:29

just back from hol with dd age 4 and ds 18m. they shared the living room on a sofa bed and travel cot. we had the bedroom which had its own balcony and tv. the living area was L shaped abd our bedroom entered straight to the kitchenette so our evening wasn't spoilt. they stayed up late with us for dinner as they'd napped late afternoon so we all went to bed about 10pm but dh and I could get to fridge/kettle and balcony after they'd gone to bed. we did the sane hol last yr when they were 3 and 9m, then we kept ds in our room in the travel cot. he was still waking early and I didn't want him disturbing dd. but we put a sheet over his cot to darken it/spare him the ac draft/ allow us to actually have the best sex we've had since he was born grin . wow, just sometimes it really is memorable isn't it? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now