Talk

Advanced search

8yo ds eats constantly!

(17 Posts)
lexyloub Wed 01-Jul-15 09:42:15

My ds is forever eating it's becoming an issue now. He generally eats all his meals but then constantly snacks preferably on biscuits but grapes carrot sticks anything he can get his hands on even to the point he'll get a piece of dry bread if there's nothing else.
He will get up before us and come downstairs to climb up to the biscuit cupboard and has been known to eat a full packet of biscuits or a tube of pringles in 1 go - it's just plain greed! He literally can't go longer than 20-30min without food then saying he's hungry and starving before wanting something else to eat.
I keep snacks in a high cupboard but he climbs up on the worktop to get to them. He'll also go in the fridge and will eat whatever he can find. I'm contemplating putting a lock on the cupboards and fridge it's that bad.
Physically he's as thin as a rake there's absolutely no fat on him anywhere it's as if he really does have hollow legs. He's very sporty and active so is always on the go but the amount of food he consumes is ridiculous he eats twice as much as me. I do say he can't have snacks etc but he'll sneak food when I'm not looking. My dh says to leave him as he's a growing lad I expected this sort of food consumption in his teens not at 8 yo.
Not sure if this is related or not but he's always cold for example yesterday he was sat with a thick coat on in this heat and insisted he needed a jumper for school as he's cold.
Is this normal? Any advice?

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 01-Jul-15 09:44:44

That's not normal.

I'd try worming him.

sounds like he's not absorbing nutrients properly if he's that thin and getting cold. I'd try worming then hit drs if it keeps up

Baies Wed 01-Jul-15 09:46:36

I don't know about the feeling cold bit but the rest is very normal

I have an 8 year old DS and he eats and eats and ears. He is skinny as a rake too

A typical day for him ..

2 slices wholemeal toast and peanut butter
2 weetabix
Apple
Kiwi fruit
Glass of milk

A school dinner

Afternoon snack of mini pancakes/ oatcakes/ cheese/ fruit / biscuits

Dinner is maybe chicken veg and potato . Bowl of ice cream.

He then has more cereal and fruit , some chocolate and raw carrots. Maybe a box of raspberries. Toast

He has HUGE adult portions and will eat anything he can get his hands on. Healthy or not. Anything!

He's always been like it and I don't worry at all. They're growing fast aren't they?

Baies Wed 01-Jul-15 09:52:22

Ahhhh backtrack!!!

I completely missed the climbing to get to food etc and taking huge amounts like tubes of Pringles

Maybe speak to a HV or doctor?

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 01-Jul-15 09:53:00

Is he drinking a lot too?

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 01-Jul-15 09:55:27

But yes, 8 year old DS1 eats like that too. Typical day for him:

2 slices of toast, smoothie, bowl of bran flakes

Fruit

Packed lunch - large sandwich with meat and salad, mini cheddars, fruit, veg, hummus etc

After school snack of oatcakes/ricecakes/cheese/toast/cereal/apple/carrot

Huge meal (larger than DH's portion). Rice pudding etc

Massive amounts of milk and squash and water.

lexyloub Wed 01-Jul-15 09:59:48

I wouldn't say he drinks massive amounts no.

lexyloub Wed 01-Jul-15 10:01:01

Giles - I've never heard of worming I thought that was only for dogs ha ha

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 01-Jul-15 10:04:12

grin

stick around on MN it comes up alot.

just don't be tempted to feed him rex's drontal wink

in all seriousness though it's worth a try. worms can make a kid quite ill. flowers

lexyloub Wed 01-Jul-15 10:09:07

This has been going on a while would worms have made him ill by now? His bowel movements are daily and he pees regular

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 01-Jul-15 10:09:09

I only asked about the drinking because excessive eating was the first sign of something for a friend's DD.

I think maybe you need to have stuff he can help himself to when he is hungry so he learns about how to manage hunger. No biscuits but make sure he can have savoury stuff. Ham, cheese, yoghurt, oatcakes, peanut butter etc are all more filling than sugary stuff. Protein and slow release carbs. I find homemade wholemeal bread works well - make it like lead. Fills him up fast!

DS1 is constantly arguing with DH about whether he can possibly be hungry or not but we do know from experience he will stop eating when he is full. He went to an all you can eat place for his friend's birthday recently and ate 4 burgers, a curry, pizza and two puddings. He asked for a slice of melon for tea!

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 01-Jul-15 10:13:43

If a lids been feeling unwell a long time it just kind of becomes normal for them and they carry on regardless as they don't know any different.

I'm. not saying he has worms nut I think.its something to try because all though many people will come here and say their kids eat out tesco on a daily basis, the being cold thing would worry me immensely. flowers

lexyloub Wed 01-Jul-15 10:18:05

I've never heard him say he was full . He can make himself cereal or a sandwich and often does. If he goes for the grapes or carrot sticks he won't just eat a few he'll eat the whole bag it's like he doesn't know when to stop

Wellwellwell3holesintheground Wed 01-Jul-15 10:18:20

He needs approx 27-34 calories per pound of body weight at that age. I think I would see the GP - Giles is right, the being cold thing is worrying.

PeterParkerSays Wed 01-Jul-15 10:21:05

I would encourage him to drink more, in case he's mistaking thirst for hunger. Say he must have a glass of milk or a glass of water, then some fruit or another healthy snack, and save biscuits / crisps for occasional treats. The salt levels he's eating must be incredible if he's almost binging like this.

Madamecastafiore Wed 01-Jul-15 10:27:19

Could you perhaps have his thyroid function tested?

addictedtosugar Wed 01-Jul-15 10:46:36

I think I'd book a GP appointment, and then while you are awaiting for it, compelate a food diary of everything he eats, with quantities as best you can.

Take the evidence to the GP.
Unless you were very far north or west, I don't think a jumper / coat yesterday is normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now