Talk

Advanced search

One twin tricky at mealtimes

(4 Posts)
earlgreyplease Mon 29-Jun-15 22:07:37

I have 2 8yo girls, non identical and very different in character. One eats very well and is biddable and compliant at mealtimes, the other won't sit down, refuses to come when called, sometimes refuses to eat anything at all, keeps getting up from the table, becomes rude and argumentative and so on. This is very upsetting and disruptive on family occasions, but it's day to day meal times in particular breakfast on school days, that are becoming a real issue. I'm really worried about her going to school on an empty stomach, lack of food has a dramatic effect on her frame of mind and mood, so I'm sure her school days are proving very challenging for her.
I've tried talking to her about it, but I'm very aware that we don't want to make this into a major 'food' issue. I can see already that she knows this behaviours is really pushing all my buttons. How should I tackle this?

IWillOnlyEatBeans Tue 30-Jun-15 12:40:14

How do you get to school? Could you give her something to eat on the way like a croissant/cereal bar/banana or even a slice of toast?

So on a morning just say "I'm not interested in you making a fuss at breakfast time. You can eat this in the car/when we're walking to school instead".

It might be one less meal time battle to fight?

earlgreyplease Wed 01-Jul-15 10:51:10

Hi Iwillonlyeatbeans, thank you for that, I think that is going to be the way forward, I have been taking breakfast biscuits and smoothies in desperation for the walk to school, but have still been having the battles beforehand. this morning was no exception, her behaviour was dreadful and we had a horrible morning, I feel shredded and I'm sure she's not feeling great either.
From now on, I will put breakfast on the table and leave it at that, and we will take snacks on the way to school. Thank you!

IWillOnlyEatBeans Wed 01-Jul-15 12:29:43

It sounds really stressful and not a nice way to start the day! I always feel awful waving my son off at school if we've had a bad morning.

I think your plan sounds good. I guess it would also help to have no TV/tablet/whatever on a morning too (although I suppose you probably do that already? My boys get to eat breakfast in front of the TV on a Saturday as a treat! During the week, tv and tablets are off from 7.30am when we need to start getting stuff done).

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now