Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of stabalisers

(8 Posts)
Happyyellowcar Mon 29-Jun-15 10:32:05

DS1 is 5 and coming to the end of reception. He has a bike which he loves and rides to and from school every day. He has stabilisers and zooms about really quickly. I have tried removing the stabilisers a few times over the past year but he immediately gives up trying to ride without them and then refuses to try again. It's his main way of getting around so I really need him to use his bike but am getting concerned about him going into yr1 still with stabilisers. A few of his pals can ride without now and even DS2 (3) could probably manage as he zooms in his balance bike no probs. will he get ridiculed by his peers? How old were your DCs when the stabilisers came off and do you have any tips? Thanks!

reni1 Mon 29-Jun-15 10:50:23

I find never having them and going from balance bike to normal they are able to cycle without from day 1, so for ds2 you could do that, ds1 I would try a too-small bike at first, I found this helps. Borrow one for a couple of weeks if you have to.

Happyyellowcar Mon 29-Jun-15 11:18:51

Thanks for replying - maybe I should try him on DS2s balance bike then! Although he is too big for it really.

ReallyTired Mon 29-Jun-15 11:40:42

I suggest you get him a two wheel scooter. It is cheaper than a balance bike and children still enjoy riding a two wheel scooter occassionally. I found with my children that when they could ride a two wheel scooter they had the balance to ride a bike. In your position I would get the five year old to scoot about.

There is little point in comparing children. My son learnt to ride a bike at five and half years old but his sister almost six years old. Some children don't ride a bike until they are seven year olds in year 2. I don't know any child who has been ridiculed by their peers for not being able to ride a bike. However the bigger the child, the greater distance they have to fall. Its generally easier to teach a six year old to ride a bike than a twelve year old.

Many schools do cycling proficency in year 4 and your child would feel very left out if they could not take part.

reni1 Mon 29-Jun-15 11:44:03

Too big for the bike is good, Happy. My dd could ride a balance bike and found her big girl bike hard, when we borrowed a small (balance bike sized) bike with pedals from a cousin she did it immediately and then could manage her big bike ok.

addictedtosugar Mon 29-Jun-15 11:55:31

Or take the peddles and stablisers off his bike for a while?

What happens if you de-stablize the stablisers? ie make it so they allow the bike to wobble. If he goes too far over, they will top him toppling, but he might start to self correct?

Don't let your youngest have stablisers after mastering a bb.

Happyyellowcar Mon 29-Jun-15 16:07:15

Thanks for the advice - were in the cycling camp rather than scooters and were keen to get the kids cycling ASAP. You can't destabilise the stabalisers unfortunately it's all or nothing. No I wouldn't put DS2 on a bike with stabalisers - I was cynical about balance bikes at first but can't believe how fab they are actually!

EdYouKateShaun Mon 29-Jun-15 16:19:11

Take the pedals and stabilisers off the bike so he can use it like a balance bike. When they 'get' the balance put the pedals back on and tell them to pedal. DO NOT help them at all.
Did this with DS and he went from stabilisers to riding with pedals in 3 days and at no point did I run about holding up a wobbling bike and child.

DD had a balance bike all the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now