Talk

Advanced search

Obsessive behaviour or normal??

(8 Posts)
slightlyconfused85 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:19:20

My DD is 2.7- developing normally in terms of speech, motor skills etc. She's got a thing about jigsaw puzzles and has become obsessed with doing all of them every day. They are 35-60 pieces which she does the right way up , then takes them apart, does them upside down and then lines them up in perfectly straight lines which you cannot touch. She then gets all her little figures out and puts them in a really perfect straight line then gets all her books out and lines them up in size order. This has been going on for 6 weeks or so but my concern as that this ritual takes a couple of hours out of every day and she goes bananas if it's interrupted or you touch anything. She does not display any other strange behaviours although hates having dirty hands so won't do play dough or anything that makes her a mess. She's socially normal and plays well with other children and adults. Do you think this is just a phase or something to worry about/nip in the bud? Seems weird reading it back but that is what she does...

Coincidenceschmoincidence Sat 27-Jun-15 22:29:39

Well the behaviour is obsessive but in isolation it's normal and age appropriate, if you see what I mean.

It's when paired with social communication difficulties or impaired imaginative play that it gives rise for concern.

Toddlers are quirky creatures and it's probably just a phase. I wouldn't worry if all else seems well. smile

slightlyconfused85 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:36:48

Thanks coincidence that's helpful. It's the ensuing crying and shouting if you accidentally touch a piece or get involved in any way that I find a bit bizarre too! I'm glad she enjoys the puzzles but even my mum thinks it's slightly strange!

QuiteLikely5 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:40:05

I think this is a bit strange. Although children are a mystery at the best of times! Personally I would ring the HV to see what she thinks.........

slightlyconfused85 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:46:48

Thanks I will do. Like I mention, however, she is I think 'normal' in other ways; she eats and sleeps well, plays imaginatively with other things and is keen to be social and gets along with other kids. She's always liked puzzles but it seems to have turned into a obsession that she can't break. Will ask the HV smile

PJ67 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:59:00

Hi. It's not exactly the same but when my son was a similar age I used to worry as he would line all his cars up and become very upset if I moved something. I did read at the time that it was a way they learnt and he's now 8 and fine. Discuss with hv but I imagine they'll want to waits and see how things are in a few months.

slightlyconfused85 Sun 28-Jun-15 07:07:26

Thanks pj how long did he do this for? I've got a HV coming tomorrow for an ante natal check as due new baby soon so I expect she will witness it first hand!

PJ67 Sun 28-Jun-15 23:44:29

Hi. I can't remember how long he did this for but I do recall worrying about it for a few months. Let us know how you get on with the hv

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now