Talk

Advanced search

Anyone around with experience of enuresis issues?

(8 Posts)
HeadFairy Sat 27-Jun-15 09:16:55

Ds is 7.9 and has until now been in pyjama pants because he's a very heavy sleeper and wets the bed excessively, we're on the waiting list to see the enuresis consultant. He's been dry for the last 5 nights, which is a first in his entire life, so he wants to try going without a pull up tonight. Has anyone had anything similar? What are the chances these 5 nights are finally the beginning of the end of pull ups for him?

SpeccyBat Sat 27-Jun-15 09:21:10

Hi OP.
Go with it. Make sure you have your mattress protectors etc and go for it.
Do you avoid certain drink groups? Fizzy stuff is a massive no no, as is anything berry related (Ribena and so on). I find orange juice irritates my DD's bladder too so we limit it to a morning drink. Also very difficult to practice in this hot weather but having a cut off point for drinking at about 6 is suggested.

CocktailQueen Sat 27-Jun-15 09:23:13

Same here. DS is 8. He can go for a few weeks without wetting the bed but if he's too tired he just won't wake, and will then wet the bed every night for a week.

I'd go for it with your DS. Agree with Speccybat's advice too. Good luck!

SpeccyBat Sat 27-Jun-15 09:25:13

Enuresis advisors try and work firstly on the theory that the child can be trained into staying dry. Night pants are a double edged sword in that they protect the child from a disturbed night of sleep and save us a hell of a lot of laundry but they also give that feeling of dryness which doesn't really help in the long run.

Don't be tempted to whip the pants back on if he has a wetting incident - he needs to be able to 'feel' what's happening and perhaps respond to it. All this happens on a sub-conscious level of course.

HeadFairy Sat 27-Jun-15 09:45:25

Thanks for the top tips... He doesn't really have fizzy drinks, just the occasional fizzy Ribena with soda stream water, but I'll try and stop that. Usually it's just water or juices. I've tried to increase his day time drinking too.

I did wonder about stopping the pull ups at night, in the same way that they're not useful during the day, but every time we tried in the past he was completely unconscious despite being soaking wet, and he won't wake until the morning in a pool of wee. I was reluctant to face the nightmare of daily duvet/sheets/pillow washing (yes, it's that much his pillow is usually soaked!) without trying to get him dry a few nights as the logistics of getting it all washed and dry and back on the bed and do and I working shift work seemed impossible.

I tried lifting him but he's such a dead weight that I've stopped because he's too fast asleep to even wee so it was a pointless exercise.

Fingers crossed this is actually the start of at least a few dry nights a week. His sister is exactly the same, but she's 5 so I've got a coup,e of years before I start worrying about her! grin

mojo17 Sat 27-Jun-15 10:56:25

He can't help it its a hormone imbalance that gets treated with something called desmopressin(?)
It may be the start of being dry for a while and then He will go back to wetting the bed again.
It goes like that for a few times the dry gaps becoming longer and longer.
Keep his day tim liquids up and I mean make him drink a lot! I know it sounds counter productive but his. bladder needs to get used to that feeling of fullness so it registers when to go.
And the washing , well sorry. It that goes with the territory
.good luck it can be a long process but they do get there!

BarbarianMum Sat 27-Jun-15 11:37:24

I'd leave off the pull up but stick a bed mat under his top sheet instead. Really minimises the mess if there is an accident.

Eva50 Sat 27-Jun-15 16:55:35

Ds had a run of dry nights just days before his 7th birthday and that was it. He hasn't been wet since and he's almost 9 now. Fingers crossed for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now