Talk

Advanced search

Help with entertaining 2yo

(6 Posts)
Bigbadgeorge Fri 26-Jun-15 13:37:56

Hi I stopped working full time a to go on mat leave with DC2 (7 weeks) who is a fairly fussy breastfed baby.

DC1 stopped full time nursery completely as we can't afford to keep her in even one day a week while I'm off. I have depression and the weather is awful here and we have no local family/friends to help. My husband is out of the house 5 days for around 11 hours.

DC1 is actually a lovely child, really no trouble but has a big tendency towards whining and clinging. The day's are looooooong, the toddler groups are closed for the summer and I may go insane wink

Entertainment/coping strategies please!!!!!

HolyDrinker Fri 26-Jun-15 13:54:14

Cbeebies. Seriously, it was a god send when Dd was tiny and it won't be forever so don't feel too bad about it. Might give you a little time to sit and have a cuddle with big sister too.

Failing that, the usual - play do, baking, den building with all the duvets and pillows, indoor disco, rough and tumble on the bed, slow walk to the shops to choose a comic/sweets/ice cream etc.

Oh and sticker books! They were very popular here.

Congratulations on the new baby.

Bigbadgeorge Fri 26-Jun-15 14:20:52

Holydrinker you hit the nail on the head with CBeebies- it's how we get through the the day but we have it on all the time!!!! Feel terrible. Often it's the same episode over and over on the ipad blush

slightlyconfused85 Sat 27-Jun-15 06:58:53

I've got this situation coming up; new baby due imminently and a 2 year old dd who will be at home.
My plans are; paddling pool and garden toys - do you have outside space?
Bung baby in sling and get bus to larger parks for picnics
Jigsaw puzzles , lots of new ones as she loves them
Peppa pig and ben and holly...
Invite lots of friends and family over to entertain dd!
You sound like you're doing great congrats on the baby

FoulsomeAndMaggotwise Sat 27-Jun-15 20:07:27

I have a nearly 2 year old and a four month old. I also have CBeebies on a lot.

If you can get a tuff spot (I think they're called) they're good - you just fill it with weird stuff and leave them to it. Cornflour and water, spaghetti, crap like that. We do lots of drawing and gardening too.

Ineedacleaningfairy Sun 28-Jun-15 18:47:03

Another cbeebies fan here! Last summer I had a toddler and was pregnant, I used to have a bath with the toddler for about an hour after lunch then toddler would sleep for 3 hours!! I'd lie on the sofa feeling hot and pregnant and try to get some jobs done, my toddler then stayed up late but by then my dp would be home from work so it was easier.

My 2 year old loves brio, I find if I help him set up a train track and then make a zoo/farm/car track within the train track and get plastic animals/people out he plays quite nicely for a while, we also make duplo/wooden block bridges over the track and sometimes I get a bowel of water to put toy fish/frogs in as a pretend pond. Most games are bassed around the train track.

Both my toddler and baby loved if when we were "a band" I let the 2 year old choose instruments for us, then count to 3 and play quietly/loudly/fast/slow, other ideas are picnics inside with all the teddies, you can sit on the sofa and give directions. Tv was on very often.

My child did you to nursery still (although home a couple of days a week and all holidays) I wonder if you could get 2 year funding if you explain your situation to your hv, I'm sorry your struggling with depression.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now