Talk

Advanced search

3.8 ds won't use public toilets

(17 Posts)
Sycamore76 Wed 24-Jun-15 19:59:41

My ds has been toilet trained for a while now but has started to freak out when he needs the loo when we are out , he says he doesn't like the hand dryers! We had a day out recently and he wet himself as he wouldn't use the toilets.. Any tips ? Even bribery with chocolate doesn't help ! shock

teacher54321 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:04:01

Watching with interest! Ds is 3 and 2 months and exactly the same. He will however use his potette so I just take that with me everywhere I go at the moment. He starts to cry if we even go towards a public loo. Apparently you can turn hand dryers off at the wall but haven't tried that yet!

Mrsboathook Wed 24-Jun-15 21:12:34

Oh god, us too! Please let it be just a phase.....

LashesandLipstick Wed 24-Jun-15 21:18:24

Does he have any other issues like this? Not liking vacuum cleaners? Is he sensitive to certain textures?

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Wed 24-Jun-15 21:32:41

My son will use the toilet but HATES hand dryers and gets very upset even before we've gone in the toilet.
I have to promise not to use them.
If it's a little toilet with the sensor dryers and I accidentally set it off with my fat arse he has a complete screaming episode at me.

scrivette Wed 24-Jun-15 21:35:05

I had to laugh the other day as all the children in the public loos waiting recently had their hands over their ears!

DS can't stand them either, but luckily most of the time will go in but has his hands over his ears. Could you get some ear muffs/ear defenders?

Stubbed Wed 24-Jun-15 21:36:53

Mine is the same. I thought it was just us.

Sycamore76 Wed 24-Jun-15 21:43:20

I have said he doesn't have to use the hand dyers and I will use an antibacterial wipe instead but he still won't enter the toilet ! He is fine at nursery.
Lashes and lipstick - he loves the Hoover . Always wants to Hoover and I haven't notice and problem with texture - what are you thinking ?

LashesandLipstick Wed 24-Jun-15 21:44:58

Sycamore was wondering if he had sensory problems - I have them and have this and it's a very common sign, on its own it's probably not though

RhubarbAndMustard Wed 24-Jun-15 21:46:14

My DS is exactly the same. Doesn't really like the sound of the flush either. I think it's pretty common but no idea when they grow out of it.

Sycamore76 Wed 24-Jun-15 21:48:54

Thanks lashes, are there any other signs apart from the ones mentioned ?

LashesandLipstick Wed 24-Jun-15 22:06:10

Sycamore, anything where the senses seem over or undetuned. Not liking loud noises, food issues, etc. also can occur with aspergers so any of those.

Again not necessarily any of this, just something to look out for

tobysmum77 Sat 27-Jun-15 07:13:21

This is really really common in fact normal. All very young children do some things that could be seen as potential signs of autism dont they? Dd1 was like this, dd2 on the other hand thinks hand dryers are hilarious grin .

Picklesauage Sat 27-Jun-15 09:11:05

The hand dryer thing is so normal. Nearly all my friends and myself had issues with our children hating handryers at first.
We did a combination of using a travel potty for days out when toilets are likely to be busy or far away. As well as using public toilets when they were quiet so she got used to them. Also showing her the hand dryers when it was quiet too. She's fine with them now!

Sycamore76 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:55:13

Thanks everyone , it's very reassuring to know it's quite common. The farm today had paper towels , what a relief !

tobysmum77 Sat 27-Jun-15 22:27:16

Go there again then.... grin

WeLoveHaribo Wed 01-Jul-15 10:08:33

My little girl is the same, a few months back she'd either have accidents refusing to go in or be crying before even went in.
A lot better now, she scans the room as she enters and i tend to say (loudly!) Its ok i know you dont like dryer ill not put it on.... Sometimes (mainly us mums that are used to it) say Its ok i wont use it yet!
I have hand gel in my bag for a quick exit but still say when out of door, lets wash hands now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now