Eye contact worries

(4 Posts)
PinkParsnips Wed 24-Jun-15 16:17:45

I'm just wondering what constitutes poor eye contact and whether it is always something to be concerned about?

My DD is 19 months and I have no worries about her in any other areas but I feel that her eye contact isn't brilliant.

She does make eye contact many many times a day but doesn't hold it for very long, usually just a few seconds max and then looks away. She does hold it for longer when tickling/playing for example but sometimes it's difficult to get her to make it at all and I have to say look at mummy (which she always does with a defiant little look on her face!). Some days seem better than others and she has decent eye contact with other people and children.

Quite often it also takes 4 or 5 times of saying her name to get her to respond, usually because she's always on the go and engrossed in something.

It's also often impossible to get her to look at a camera too whereas she used to be so good.

Rasell Thu 25-Jun-15 00:04:51

My 30 month old is like that. He still doesn't talk, just uses a few words & babbles. He rarely turns to his name & often ignores people & is uninterested in eye contact a lot of the time. Other times he's great & he's always happy, busy playing & loves tickles, cuddles, etc. He's having 6 monthly appointments with paed & seeing speech & language therapist. He doesn't seem to ba autistic or anything, despite showing some of the traits. He's improving. I would say that your lo sounds fine, but if you have any doubt or niggle, go to the doctor to arrange a paediatrician appointment. It takes a long time to get anywhere & should there be any issues, time is of the essence. Don't worry & good luck! Xx

PinkParsnips Thu 25-Jun-15 13:51:05

Hi , thanks for replying..your little boy sounds lovely!
I haven't taken her anywhere yet as some days (like today) it doesn't seem a problem and no one else sees an issue so I wonder if it's just me being overly anxious again.
In every other way she's doing great - very sociable, great imaginary play, pointing, shared experiences, has about 30 words and increasing...I don't know, will keep monitoring for now I think.

Rasell Thu 25-Jun-15 23:27:41

Thank you! Your's too! She sounds like she's developing perfectly well & no need for concern.
All the best xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now