Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to time out?

(10 Posts)
AndThisIsTrue Tue 23-Jun-15 17:02:56

Just that really, if you don't do time out with your toddler what do you do when they misbehave?

ccridersuz Wed 24-Jun-15 12:54:42

The naughty step, but try the opposite.
A star chart with sticky stars for good behaviour, with a small reward for so many a week, children respond better to being praised for what they do right, the idea is to correct that you don't want your child to do one thing at a time. Start with the thing that worries you most.
For example, if your child won't hold on to the pram, or runs off when you are shopping, but also will not sit at the table to eat. Start with praising him for not running off or holding the pram.
Once that problem is no longer a problem, progress to the sitting at the table nicely problem.
Worked for me.

Jaffakake Fri 26-Jun-15 21:09:08

We encourage ds1 to spend time in his room until he calms down if he's throwing a wobbler. We also have a marble jar, he's gets a marble for saying yes when we ask him to do something, a marble is taken away if he says no. Once the jar is full he gets a reward. It helps keep dialogue positive when he's being difficult.

Heyho111 Fri 26-Jun-15 22:37:06

A child doesn't understand time out till they are 3 yrs + because the idea of time out is to think about what they have done wrong which a toddler can't do.
Modelling behaviour and distraction is the best way. Also a toddler will only respond to no momentarily per nance of no is a lot later.
It's hard going when they are toddlers as it is never ending.

tobysmum77 Sat 27-Jun-15 07:00:49

I take toys off mine. Time out doesn't work imo.....

Marthapolo8719 Sat 27-Jun-15 07:20:50

Oh watching with internet. Timeout doesn't work for my 2.5 dd. I like the marbles idea.

keeptothewhiteline Sat 27-Jun-15 08:40:06

There are other ways of managing behaviour without using punishment reward system.

I don't punish. I think that it doesn't teach children to develop a responsible attitude towards their own actions.

tobysmum77 Sat 27-Jun-15 10:28:43

nothing wrong with actions having consequences imo, but we all have different ideas smile .

Crazyqueenofthecatladies Sat 27-Jun-15 18:25:03

I don't get this argument against punishment and rewards I really don't. Yes we'd all like people to do things for the very best of intentions but tbh many adults can't do that and only follow societal rules because of rewards and punishments. Expecting three year olds to be wiser than many adults seems very unfair. Plus the idea of rewards and punishments is a good early way of modelling positive behaviour until the requisite introspection is there. Leaving them to do as they please til say eight seems unwise...

keeptothewhiteline Sat 27-Jun-15 22:17:48

Leaving them to do as they please til say eight seems unwise...

No -one is suggesting that though. Children need guidance and learn about boundaries. I am suggesting tat his can be done without punishment.
The fear of punishment is not the driving force behind a good functional peaceful society.
I don't punish my OH, or elderly relatives and I can easily train a puppy without punishment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now