Talk

Advanced search

My DS is on the 91st percentile?!

(6 Posts)
Mrsmumb Mon 22-Jun-15 15:16:34

Should I be concerned? He is 6mo breastfed except for a ff before bed, to keep him used to a bottle and help him sleep a bit longer. He has been on solids (mix if purees and finger food) for 3 weeks and eats really well.
I don't feel as though he has reduced his breast milk intake at all though?? Is he overweight? ?

NickyEds Mon 22-Jun-15 15:27:44

No. The centiles are just averages so someone has to be on the 91st. Half of babies are in the top half and half are in the bottom half. It's more of a guide and can sometimes be useful to know if your baby is climbing up or down the centiles quickly.

coniferssilhouette Mon 22-Jun-15 18:18:54

My son (breastfed) has always been 98th for weight and off the charts for height and hvs have always been pleased, he's never had chubby rolls and has always looked slimmer than other babies we know. Try not to worry!

Booboostoo Mon 22-Jun-15 19:16:39

My DD (ebf) was off the charts for weight and her height gradually reached the 97th percentile. Now she is 4yo she is still very tall, 97th, but her weight has dropped to the 60th so her BMI is fine. Her early weight gain seemed to be necessary to fuel her height gain.

bakingtins Mon 22-Jun-15 19:51:43

What centile is his length plotted on? If it's also one of the top ones he's in proportion and is fine.

Mrsmumb Mon 22-Jun-15 20:13:02

Thanks for the responses, he has never been measured for height, I don't think they do it round here as none of my friends babies have either. People have been surprised when ive told them as although he is a lovely squishy baby, he doesn't look that large. I can't see him being tall as were a lot of short arses in this house!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now