Talk

Advanced search

School taster session ... mmm that didn't go well!

(7 Posts)
DeliaOnIce Fri 19-Jun-15 13:47:02

Ds 4 and for some reason really does not want to go to school ( not even sure where that has come from). So first taster session today and won't even go in the classroom! He goes to nursery 2 days a week fine. He's not a shy boy and has plenty of friends at nursery ( some of which were there. Anyone offer any reassurance?! Dreading taking him next week for next session where I have to leave him ...

MrsNextDoor Fri 19-Jun-15 14:04:16

Have you "over-talked" it to him? I know talking about it is important but some DC get anxious when things are anticipated too much.

Perhaps let him know the day before the next taster session....in an offhand way...but then change the subject and don't be drawn if he starts to complain or worry.

DeliaOnIce Fri 19-Jun-15 19:10:50

Good point ... have been going on about it quite a bit! Will give that a go and see if things go differently next week!

LadyPeterWimsey Fri 19-Jun-15 19:25:09

DC3 stood at the entrance to the classroom on his school taster day and had a total full-on hysterical meltdown. All the other children were walking past him into the room wondering what he knew that they didn't.

The extremely scary teacher told me to leave him, said 'What is this?!' in a shocked tone of voice, which shut him up, and then distracted him with a puzzle. He came out an hour later having loved it and has never looked back.

Over the years I've worked out that he's just not very good with change. I'm sure your DS will get there with some low-key encouragement.

DeliaOnIce Sat 20-Jun-15 21:41:52

Thanks for your advice ... I will report back after out next session ... wish us luck!

MrsNextDoor Sun 21-Jun-15 08:05:48

Good luck! Do report back....my DD went dangerously silent aged just three on her first trip to preschool...then as the nice lady was showing DH the snack are, she quietly but firmly bit me on the arm as punishment for daring to take her to such a place.

She LOVED preschool.grin

DeliaOnIce Fri 26-Jun-15 15:09:14

Well that was better! Spoke to teacher and had an early home visit. Also took DS in earlier than the other children today. I just ad a quick exit after we arrived at school and he was fine! Returned 2 hours later and he had had a good time. Didn't want to eat his lunch there and wanted to home as soon as he saw me but I'm counting it a success! Thanks so much for your advice and kind words x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now