Talk

Advanced search

14 mo speech

(8 Posts)
Countryside14 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:02:38

Hi,

My DD IS nearly 14 months old. I have slight niggle in that I worry about her speech or lack of it. She didn't really start to babble until 9/10 months which is late or so I've read. Since then she hasn't really progressed from there much I wouldn't say. I talk to her ALL the time but I've not really heard any actual words.

I wonder as she's always been very active that she's concentrated on that more? Any advice or experience would be great x

LissieD Wed 17-Jun-15 20:08:54

I wouldn't worry yet. She's still very young. My DD seemed incredibly slow to start talking. She didn't even say mummy until 22 months. Her language just exploded at around 26 months, from a handful of words to full sentences. Now at 2.8 she's a real chatter box.

You could try doing some baby sign language with her if you're worried she's frustrated about being unable to communicate.

Can she do animal noises? These count as words apparently smile

Countryside14 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:13:09

That's reassuring. She just started saying mum mum mum but I don't think it's actually aimed at me. She seems to have good understanding. If I ask her to go and find certain toys she will or if I ask her if she can see certain people she'll look for them. I seem to know what she wants all the time, maybe that's the problem?

No, she'll listen and look through books with me and point to the picture but no imitating as such.

Stubbed Wed 17-Jun-15 20:14:39

Work on animal noises, it's good for speech development. And monster roars etc

SycamoreMum Wed 17-Jun-15 20:19:47

My dd is kind of the same as yours OP. She was born 3 months early however so I did wonder if that was why she wasn't saying much just yet. Then someone pointed out that shes actually more mobile and balanced than most 14 month olds so maybe shes channeling all her energy into that.

She'll say mama and dada and no or didi which is what I say to her to stop her doing something grin just give them time I supposesmile

WLondonMum Wed 17-Jun-15 20:21:02

Hi there, I have a 14 month old DD who isn't really talking either... which was a surprise as my first child was speaking in full sentences at 15 months (which I didn't realise at the time was unusual!). However DD understands an awful lot and babbles away, points etc. so my instinct is that she is fine.

bobajob Wed 17-Jun-15 20:21:06

My 15 month old says uh-oh and cat, that's it grin

chocnomorechoc Wed 17-Jun-15 21:06:40

At 14 a months I would not worry about the lack of speech. much more important is that she is understanding language and is communicating (pointing etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now