Talk

Advanced search

Not sure how much longer I can cope

(18 Posts)
RagingJellyBean Tue 16-Jun-15 18:13:10

My 1.6 year old hates baths.
It came out of nowhere shortly after her 1st birthday...

As soon as you run the bath she gets agitated then when it comes to putting her in she screams & screams & screams and it's this horrible shrill scream & it makes me want to throw her out the window. Her bath is literally over in 60 seconds, I scramble to get her in, get her washed & get her out again. There is no distracting her.

I've tried everything. I've tried massive inflatable ducks, I've tried regular ducks, I've tried all manners of toys, I've tried toasty baths, I've tried cooler baths, I've tried baths in the middle. I've tried bubbles & bath bombs & getting in with her, I've tried showers & a combination of shower & bath.
She doesn't dislike water because she plays in puddles/plays with the soapy water tray at nursery.

Im exasperated & she now only gets 2 or 3 baths a WEEK because of how stressful it is on both of us.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Tue 16-Jun-15 18:18:11

She doesn't need that many baths. If it's that bad do it once a week - she'll be fine.
Lots of people like to bath their kids every day and that's fine, but it isn't the law that you have to.

HootyMcTooty Tue 16-Jun-15 18:25:33

This too shall pass. Only bath her when you need to and be as quick as you can.

hesterton Tue 16-Jun-15 18:28:45

Can you try a with a large washing up bowl in the kitchen on the floor?

mariposa10 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:44:46

People are obsessed with bathing children. Once a week is fine, just use wipes the rest of the time. She'll grow out of it eventually.

Quasicrystals1456 Tue 16-Jun-15 18:47:39

Agree with others. I did a quick flick in the kitchen sink when mine went through this phase.

Don't stress it.

insanityscatching Tue 16-Jun-15 18:54:18

Hopefully summer is on its way so get out the paddling pool chuck in loads of toys tea set, jugs, funnels, doll, animals and a squirt of baby bath and let her play. I used to fill mine when the sun had gone off the garden late afternoon so as good as a bath anyway.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 16-Jun-15 20:05:37

Does it have to be a bath? In that situation I would flannel wash head to toe with a bowl of warm soapy water.

To desensitise her, try sitting her in the empty bath with a bowl of water to play with. Naked if you can so she can get wet. Try not to get stressed when you're with her (hard I know) as she will feed from it

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Tue 16-Jun-15 20:21:30

I know it sounds silly but do u sit her straight in bath? as mine panicked when it was slippy.

we had a plastic bath seat that suctioned to the bottom and I literally just filled it up to belly button.

strawberryshoes Tue 16-Jun-15 20:24:15

My friend had this, the HV suggested that she play in the empty bath, and then when she was happy, put about 2cm of water in, just for splashing purposes and build up. I also agree that once a week bathing is plenty as long as you are cleaning her with a flannel when she gets dirty in between.

Sunflower1985 Tue 16-Jun-15 22:36:23

My ds loves going in the laundry basket put in the bath. It seems less overwhelming.

ladyflower23 Wed 17-Jun-15 12:37:51

My ds went through this phase. It lasted about 2 years but he's fine now! the doc actually told me to only bath him 2-3 times a week as any more dries their skin out and ds has eczema. So defo don't worry about trying to do it every day.

MioNome Wed 17-Jun-15 13:16:36

My DS1 went through this. He pooed in the bath once and after that refuses/cried/screamed saying he was scared of "poo in there".... Lasted a several weeks, we just did flannel wash hands face and bottom. Had some success with a very shallow bath and bringung bubbles in to blow/play with.
He eventually just grew out of it.
He has about 2/3 baths a week now and actually his skin is better for it.
If it's too stressful don't do it. It's not worth it. How dirty can a child of that age actually get...?

Newtobecomingamum Wed 17-Jun-15 16:22:22

Our son is 2 and we don't call it a bath we call it a little swimming pool.. So just before his bath we say right let's go and get ready to go swimming in the little swimming pool... We even put him armbands on the first few times as he went through a stage of not wanting a bath. He pretends to swim in there and everything, worked a treat for us!! Worth a try!

RachieS1986 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:15:35

it seems to be a passing phase. both my ds1 and dniece went through it. came out of nowhere and left just as abruptly. hth I completely understand the frustration.

glowfrog Wed 17-Jun-15 23:36:36

My 3.5yo has a bath once a week, maybe twice - they don't really need one every day! So don't worry about cutting out on the attempts when it's so stressful for the both of you.

Momzilla82 Wed 17-Jun-15 23:40:07

I'm going to go out there. Have you tried getting in together? Worth a try? Make it a special thing.

GingerDoodle Thu 18-Jun-15 19:22:28

Mine went through months and months of 1 a week or swimming or a dip in the hot tub as it was horrendous... Nothing worked. Then it clicked and now she loves them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now