autism

(7 Posts)
Getuhda348 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:33:05

Hi this is my first time on mumsnet so hope this is right confused and i apologise now for my awful spelling grin my ds is 19 months. He used to say mama and baba when he was 14 months then stopped. Now he doesn't make a sound. He doesn't even babble. I got in touch with a health visitor who was fantastic. He was sent for a hearing test which came back fine. She has now referred him to a speech therapist but warned it can take up to 6 months in my postcode. My mains worries however are he doesn't make eye contact, doesn't respond to his name. He's constantly on the go and does random body actions. He's not very tactile and refuses hugs and kisses. All when looked up are signs of autism. Just looking for anyone out there who's experienced similar things? Some days i'm convinced he is but others not so much. Tbh it wouldn't make a difference to me as I love him for exactly who he is now but having no experience of autism it would be helpful to know what to expect if he was to be heading towards a diagnosis. And any other signs of autism.

Brightonmumtoatoddler Mon 15-Jun-15 20:26:19

Did you say any of this about eye contact etc to health visitor? They see loads of kids and would def pick up on what's normal and not normal.
I'm no expert but I think he should be chattering by now and making eye contact etc. does he go to nursery or any groups? Do you know any other adults that see him that could offer an opinion on his behaviour?

Getuhda348 Mon 15-Jun-15 22:36:13

Hi she picked up on it all then started asking me about the birth, was quite confused until I read an article today saying new links have shown babies with complications straight after being born and mothers who had infection in labour are at increased chances of autism. I went septic and ds was resuscitated. He goes to playgroups and see's his 'friends' the Same age as him twice a week. He ignores them equally grin Hv was concerned as he went back over with his talking. My friends who are mums have commented on it as he can never stay at playgroup to long, he becomes overwhelmed and screams, although outside playgroup he never does this. He seems to be in his own little world confused

Brightonmumtoatoddler Mon 15-Jun-15 22:47:53

Ah okay. Maybe ask to see that hv again and ask for her opinion and voice your concerns. Again I know nothing about autism but I do know what 16m old kiddies are like and doesn't seem quite normal to me from what you are saying.
Sounds like he's a lucky boy to have such a lovely caring mummy who loves him regardless he will do well whatever the outcome because of you xx

Getuhda348 Tue 16-Jun-15 08:38:45

Aww thank you smile and thanks for your response. I will get back to her.

mrbrowncanmoo Tue 16-Jun-15 23:13:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Getuhda348 Wed 17-Jun-15 10:28:23

Thank you. I didn't even know about these blush but I will. Feel it's best to get a head start if it is autism least then I can help him the best I can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now