Talk

Advanced search

Views on 'Leap Reader'

(4 Posts)
spancake Sun 14-Jun-15 15:09:41

Hi everyone. I've got a little boy who is 4 in July. He's quite bright and nearly reading and I was thinking that a Leap Reader might be quite a good birthday present for him. Has anyone got one for their lo and how did you get on with it? I don't want to fork out £40 for it to be a load of rubbish and go unused as money is a bit tight. Many thanks!!

Ferguson Sun 14-Jun-15 22:59:36

I worked in primary schools as TA and Voluntary support for over twenty years.

I didn't know Leap Reader, but have just looked it up.

Personally I don't care for any of these gimmicky sorts of things, and consider they are mostly companies with over-inflated egos, trying to get money out of gullible parents.

TIME is what young children need, 'time' with supportive parents who are prepared to make an effort to read to them, with them, play imaginative games with them; not stick them in front of gadgets that probably sound like Daleks.

Spend the money on good books at inexpensive prices from charity shops, drawing and writing materials, jig saw puzzles, Lego etc.

At under £10 this could be the best educational present you could get him:

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’ and my name.

spancake Mon 15-Jun-15 10:10:14

Thanks for your response, don't get me wrong I do spend time with my child, we read together every day several times and he loves books and has shelves and shelves full of them. I was just looking for an idea to complement his learning that's all.

MiaowTheCat Mon 15-Jun-15 19:34:59

I don't have the pen one - but I've got the little touch leap pad one and the next one up from that where the books clip into the device and you tap go to tell it what page you're on.

Honestly - I wouldn't have paid more than a couple of quid for them. While DD1 (age 3) can work them fine, DD2 (age 2) is just a pain in the arse pulling the books and cartridges out and winding up her sister with them. DD1 will sit and play with them but never actually bothers with the using it to read the story element - just the game part and tapping bits that make a funny noise (she's like your child - very bright, almost reading).

One was a hand me down from a relative, the other £4 from the charity shop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now