Talk

Advanced search

Moving a 2yo and 4yo to bunk beds. Advice pls...

(7 Posts)
BusyCee Sat 13-Jun-15 21:54:34

Hi all. Due to impending arrival of dc3, DCs 1&2 have been moved into one room. At the moment 4yo is in his toddler bed and 2yo still in his cot. We're getting the bunk beds on Monday... The problem is they're keeping etching other awake. Both are KNACKERED the next day and this eve ds2 was so overwhelmed with tiredness it dissolved into hysteria.

I'm considering staggering their bedtime, so that ds2 is asleep before ds1 goes up. But I feel like I need a bit more evening than that will allow me (I've tried it a couple of times already it was nearly 8 before I was downstairs and on the sofa, let alone eating etc)

So. Any hints and tips? Good bribes? Or do I just have to suck it up?

Peachy27 Sat 13-Jun-15 22:06:57

I used to tell mine I didn't mind if they whispered but I didn't want to be able to hear them so it was almost a bit of a compromise. They would still get noisy sometimes so I'd ignore it to a point, then go up and warn them the next time one of them was moving to sleep on the bathroom floor which generally seemed to be enough to stop them. I think once I started to move ds2 and he was hysterically apologetic so I never actually got him out of the room.
The novelty wore off after a few weeks, 3 or 4 maybe can't even remember, and they've been fine since. I think you've probably just got to go through it for a few weeks but maybe better now than before you have a baby to sort out too? But I'm with you on 8pm being too late to be down! And it could be harder having two bedtimes when you've got a baby thrown into the mix too?
Good luck!

fiveacres Sat 13-Jun-15 22:08:35

Do they have to share a room?

Won't Dc3 be in with you?

RudyMentary Sat 13-Jun-15 22:22:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MiaowTheCat Sun 14-Jun-15 19:18:28

I have a 3 and 2 year old - until very recently when we swapped rooms around, we had a stint where we had 'em in bunks (very very sensible 3 year old).

I actually found we had less fucking about with the bunk beds than when we'd had them crammed into two toddler beds because it was harder to make eye contact with your partner in crime.

At the moment since they're both being pains in the backside behaviourwise (combination of post-holiday excitement and both hitting shitty developmental phases together) we do DD1 going to bed first since she's generally very easy to settle solo (she'll feed off her sibling and start playing up but without an audience she tends to look at a book for 10 minutes and settle down). DH starts settling her down and keeps an eye on her while I lie in our bed with DD2 (who tends to fall asleep later and be a bit more of a pain in the arse nodding off but could then sleep for England) and then we move DD2 when she falls asleep. It's not ideal but it's better than the shitty period we were going through prior to that.

Mine have always shared a room though - the plus point being on a morning they just lie in bed and chat/murder songs from Frozen or pile into DD1's bed and look at books together!

BusyCee Sun 14-Jun-15 19:40:41

Thanks all. Have this evening used the whispering tactic and the 'I'll-be-in-to-settle-you-down-in-15-mins' tactic this eve and it seems to be working....

OMGmetoo Sun 14-Jun-15 20:23:12

I have a friend with 4 and 2 yos in bunk beds, main problems are: 2yo keeps 4yo awake, and 2yo climbs into the top bunk but is not supposed to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now