Talk

Advanced search

18 month old and hitting

(7 Posts)
Whammy Fri 12-Jun-15 09:42:33

My 18 month old DS has, for the last 6 weeks, been excitedly whacking other kids (as well as DP and I) on the head. To date we had been dealing with this by hovering over him constantly and by taking his hands away and firmly and repeatedly saying that he must be gentle with his hands. However this hasn't seemed to make much of a difference and I think some of our friends are getting annoyed with DS/us.

DS isn't talking yet and although he understands a lot of what we are saying, we have shyed away from "disciplining" DS (using a naughty step or similar) as he just seems too young for it to have any impact. But we obviously don't want to be "those parents" who let their kids run wild!

So I was wondering what others thought, and whether we should be taking a different approach when DS does hit. Thanks in advance thanks

Superworm Fri 12-Jun-15 12:25:06

Most children will go through the hitting, pushing stage at some point. As long as parents are intervening I don't mind tbh, they're still learning about play and communication.

18 months of too young to understand time out etc. and at this age, it's normal behaviour and I would just keep doing what your doing and intervene quickly.

Littlef00t Sat 13-Jun-15 20:22:33

I'd be doing what you're doing and additionally taking him away from the situation for a min or two. Say we're gentle, but sit with him away without toys then allow him back in the action.

tumbletumble Sun 14-Jun-15 03:23:12

My Ds2 went through this stage too - it's stressful isn't it? The thing I found that worked was to give him ONE warning and then, if it happened again, take him straight home. He was a bit older than your DS though. I don't think that will work until he's at least 2 years old and understands cause and effect. Until then, your approach may be all you can do.

Artesia Sun 14-Jun-15 14:29:19

No ideas am afraid OP, but am in exactly the same boat with my DS - hitting people on the head or his other favourite, hair pulling. Feel awful when he does it to friends.

NorahBone Mon 15-Jun-15 22:34:07

My little boy is about the same age and I'm going through the same thing. It seems to be when he's excited and wants to interact with another child; I know he's not being nasty but I'm fed up with going to parks and groups and spending the whole time apologising to teary eyed toddlers. I try to immediately remove him from the other child -he wouldn't really understand warnings etc. Mild inconvenience is the only language he understands ;)

Whammy Tue 16-Jun-15 10:21:29

Thank you all for your responses. It is reassuring to hear that other parents are going through the same stage with their little monsters darlings.

So I guess I will keep on keeping on - with the added addition of removing him from the area for a few moments afterwards (a great suggestion). I really hope this phase doesn't last too long as (as one of thes poster above mentioned) it is really frustrating to spend all my time at play dates / toddler groups helicoptering over DS.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now