Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

4 year old ds following instructions

(6 Posts)
startwig1982 Fri 12-Jun-15 06:27:02

Ds is just 4 and has been at preschool since September. Initially he was fine and then he started to struggle with 'doing the right thing'. He'd fine it hard to sit and listen on the carpet and ran away from the teachers when it was time to tidy up/come in from outside.
Recently he's been so much better and has been getting on really well as they've been using behaviour strategies
such as prewarning him before tidying up and giving him a spot on the carpet.

He's starting school in September and I'm already concerned about how he'll get on. We had a taster session yesterday and he ran away twice plus he had a little tantrum when it was time to pack things away. I'm worried they already think he's difficult when in fact he's not really. He's just a bit wilful and has to have clear boundaries.
Should I be worried or does this sound normal?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 12-Jun-15 07:39:53

Have you spoken to his key Worker? Do they have any suggestions?

Back2Two Fri 12-Jun-15 07:41:13

Sounds normal. He is so young.

startwig1982 Fri 12-Jun-15 08:15:11

His key worker at nursery has said that his behaviour has really improved using their strategies. I just worry that when he starts school they will think he's really naughty.

Ferguson Fri 12-Jun-15 18:48:21

I was a primary TA for twenty years, and, Yes, it does sound pretty normal.

Teacher will have met far worse, and I dare say he will conform reasonably well at school. If he doesn't, staff will have strategies to resolve issues.

What sorts of activities does he like? And is he school-ready in terms of toilet, wash hands, change clothes (with help), eat lunch etc? These are the sort of things Reception teachers want, rather than 'count to twenty' which some parents see as important.

I'm sure he will enjoy it, and progress well.

startwig1982 Sat 13-Jun-15 07:19:11

He is fine with the toilet and we're working on getting dressed. He eats reasonably well although struggles with using a knife.
He particularly likes vehicles but is getting better at role play and pretend play. Plus he likes reading and craft.
When he's engaged he's fab it's just getting him to that point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now