Talk

Advanced search

Son just diagnosed with ADHD

(3 Posts)
slightlybothered Thu 11-Jun-15 22:27:28

Please help. I'm struggling. My older boy has just been half-diagnosed with ADHD, I say half-diagnosed as there is another assessment we are waiting for but it's now mainly a formality. I wasn't shocked, I was mainly relieved. Relieved it wasn't all just in my head... However, now I am struggling. Struggling with overthinking, struggling with guilt, struggling with fear for his future, our family's future... I'm exhausted more than I've ever been and feel more isolated and lonely than ever. There is so much confusion and judgement out there when it comes to ADHD. I was having a coffee with a friend (who is a doctor, a dermatologist) a couple of months ago and the topic came up. She had absolutely no idea our boy was reviewed for it and said "ADHD is all bollocks. It's been invented by pharma companies, it doesn't exist, it's just bad parenting". It broke my heart... Earlier today my mum asked when I spoke to her on the phone "Do you think it could be you leaving DS's dad that triggered it?" But DS was so small that he doesn't even remember it, and my ex and I are still great friends, doing dinners, Christmases together... My DS doesn't show any signs of anxiety or depression. None. He just can't keep still... in a happy, jumpy, totally exhausting way... I am exhausted and depressed. I feel like I can't talk to anyone in RL as noone understands how harassed and physically assaulted I feel every single day. And my toddler show early signs of it too... Please help. Are there any parents in a similar position out there...?

Jasonandyawegunorts Fri 12-Jun-15 02:36:05

Slghtly bothered, come over to the SN Chat, There are loads of adults and children with ADHD. You are certainly not alone.

slightlybothered Fri 12-Jun-15 09:00:37

thanks jason. Will do. I wasn't aware of the SN board

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now