Talk

Advanced search

Amber Peat's death has realy shaken me

(3 Posts)
InstitutionCode Wed 10-Jun-15 10:51:18

I apologise if this is insensitive, if you think so please report it and have it removed.

I have really struggled in the days since her death - in a completely self-centred way, obviously nothing compared to her poor family.

I have a 14yo. We sometimes fall out, sometimes about chores. The idea that he could leave the house afterwards and never come back is terrifying.

I know that our house is full of love, and I know that he knows we love him, but I also know that in his 14yo world, he sometimes thinks life treats him very unfairly. What can we do to keep our children from harm?

Newtobecomingamum Wed 10-Jun-15 12:50:59

I share your worries as a mother although mine are little. I think the only thing you can do is shower them with love, make sure that they know that they can come and talk to you about anything and always be there for them. I personally feel strongly about educating my children when they grow up about the things they may face in life such as drugs, alcohol, relationships and signs of depression or mental health issues so that I can talk through strategies and make it clear to them that they can talk to me know matter what.

I was extremely lucky to have a relationship with my mother where I could talk to her about everything and anything and she would always listen to me and provide the best advice. I remember as a teen that I found that so comforting and I want to have that relationship with my children.

Also, I think in this particular case we will never know the full story or background to this poor girl and I am sorry but I refuse to believe it was just over not wanting to do a chore... Sadly I think there was more to it.

RedKite5004 Wed 10-Jun-15 14:39:02

I don't think it's insensitive at all, I think its a very natural thing to feel rattled by such an awful event, particularly when you have a child of a similar age yourself. Clearly it is a very sad situation with Amber but as the other poster has said above, I too think there is probably far more to this story than we are aware of. A terrible tragedy indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now