Advanced search

14 month old shouting, crying and whining

(7 Posts)
DomesticGoddess31 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:07:48

How do other people deal with this? DS is 14 months. He has always been pretty loud but he shouts so much of the time now its really getting to me. He usually wakes up happy in the morning but the shouting starts pretty quickly. I have to be speedy at getting him a drink and some breakfast if I want to spare my eardrums. He shouts when he's hungry, when he's finished and wants to get down, when he's bored/tired/frustrated which covers 90% of the time. The other 10% he is an absolute joy and I love him more than anything. I'm finding it really hard to deal with. Anyone got any advice?

bebo100 Tue 09-Jun-15 23:46:43

some kids are just 'lively'.

mine's now 2. i find making sure he's well slept definitely helps, no late nights, regular nap time in the day etc.

also not sure how good your LO is at talking, but it can be pretty frustrating for them not being able to express themselves, so if he's not saying lots might be worth trying to teach him some baby signing.

meantime just try not to react to the shouting. just take your usual time getting him a drink / food etc. if he needs to wait a minute or two it won't hurt him, and eventually he'll figure out that shouting doesn't get him anywhere quickly.

stay calm, it will improve

SolasEile Tue 09-Jun-15 23:56:19

My DS was like this. He is now a very talkative 3.5 year old with opinions about everything and lots of strong emotions (gets it from his mother blush ). Looking back all his shouting was frustration at being a baby, wanting to do things and not being able to communicate that.

With my DD (currently 7 mths) I'm thinking I may try baby sign language to see if I can avert frustration when she gets to that age. Have you thought about trying it? Some parents have told me that it has helped with the tantrummy / shouty phase.

SolasEile Tue 09-Jun-15 23:57:14

Oh cross post with bebo!

DomesticGoddess31 Wed 10-Jun-15 05:50:10

Thanks guys I might give signing a whirl then as I think you're right it's a lot to do with frustration. Praying he's going to be an early talker like his dad (knowing full well I shall regret saying that!)

redcaryellowcar Wed 10-Jun-15 06:00:13

I have a 15m old who is similar. It's a bit of a shock because ds1 was quite a bit calmer, I totally agree it's mostly frustration, mind 'chats' loads, but as most of it is lovely babble, but not very understandable. I'm finding his happiest times Are when he's pottering around discovering things at his own pace, so I try to 'do' this with him quite a bit each day!

Julieb85 Tue 16-Jun-15 14:05:11

My son is the exact same but I think it's just a bit over dramatic as he cant talk to properly communicate with me. I've started to learn his queues but try not to get yourself flustered...they learn quite quickly if ur not fussing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: