Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much does your 7 month old eat?

(11 Posts)
agapimou Sun 07-Jun-15 11:34:54

Dd has been on solids for a month now, we have tried a combination of blw and purees. So far she is not consistent with her eating and some days will eat only a few bites. I give her fruits for breakfast, some boiled vegetables for lunch and she has some of whatever we eat for dinner, pasta, rice etc. She seems to turn her nose up at most healthy foods but will go to town on a cheese toastie. Is this normal for a 7 month old or is this the first sign of a fussy eater?

Twistedheartache Mon 08-Jun-15 10:37:16

Hi
My dd is 7.5 months & the amount she eats varies day on day. I think this is normal & is linked to her sleep & milk
She has toast (manages 1/3 of a slice roughly) & fruit or yoghurt (manages 1/2 pot for breakfast
Something like Veggies/Salad/fish/eggs/cheese/Avocado for lunch
Normal family dinner (weekends) or porridge (weekdays) in the evening with banana or other fruit for pudding
I go with the keep offering a variety introduce new things regularly, accept that it is crazy wasteful & try not to worry too much.
Look at what she's eating across a week rather than day by day to see if it's balanced overall
overall

agapimou Tue 09-Jun-15 10:13:48

Hi thanks for the reply. That seems far more than my little one manages, how do you get her to eat salad? I'm lucky if dd eats more than a few bites per day sad

felkov Wed 10-Jun-15 09:49:26

I wouldn't worry too much because at 7 months its still early days. i was feeling the same as you. my DD hardly ate anything up until 9 months. she would pick up and gum loads of things but 99% of it ended up spat out or on the floor. it was very disheartening and i worried a lot.

she's nearly 10 months now and has finally "got" eating. she picks up, chews and swallows at least 50% of what we offer now. its a big change from just a few weeks ago.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 10-Jun-15 10:38:43

The first month or two is really slow or at least it was with my two girls. Mums of boys I knew seemed to have no issues in getting them to trough food grin. I bought the Gina Ford book on weaning and had a heart attack over the 2 cubes of this and 2+2 of that. DDs were eating nowhere near her recommended amounts.
I didn't do BLW but as far as I am aware it is a slower process again because the food is more solid, so more exploration of the food etc.

Maybe try her with some weetabix first thing with some mashed banana. Then a bottle of milk/BF. She may be more hungry first thing and more receptive to food.

agapimou Thu 11-Jun-15 10:13:28

Thanks guys, good to know its not just my little one. The strange thing is she is not interested in her own healthy food but will leap from my arms to get to a burger, portion of chips or ice cream.

blueBooby Thu 11-Jun-15 10:23:40

Are the burgers/ice cream etc that your dd seems interested in, what she sees you eating? My dd always prefers it if she sees we are eating the same thing. She likes food from mine/dp's plate or to see us have a few enthusiastic bites from hers.

Also like a pp said 7 months is early. My dd and other babies I know of have really picked up their appetites between 8 and 10 months. (That's girl and boy babies by the way.)

Laquila Thu 11-Jun-15 10:31:47

That's totally normal for a 7 month old - please don't worry!! It could feasibly be a couple more months before your daughter's eating considerably more - remember that milk should be the main source of nutrition until around 1. She's still exploring and finding out about tastes, textures and smells - there's honestly no need to rush.

We did BLW and it was quite slow-going, and inconsistent, for the first few months, but I know have a 21-mth old dustbin who will eat anything you put in front of him.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 11-Jun-15 10:37:24

Kids want to eat what you are eating. Sadly they will have no interest in broccoli unless you are consuming it at the same time, making mmm yummy noises.

It makes going to the pub for lunch when they are that little a bit tricky. You either have to get over your PFB tendencies about chips or not eat them yourself grin

mumof2oneofeach Thu 18-Jun-15 15:34:15

As others have said, do not worry. "Food is fun until one". After a month of eating you can't expect them to gobble things down! I did mostly baby led weaning and you just have to not worry about whether anything is going into their tummys but more about if they're enjoying it. Please don't stress yourself, they don't need solids yet and you don't need more to worry about!!

Good luck.

glowfrog Thu 18-Jun-15 17:36:00

My DD was the same with solids for the longest time. In the end I just lowered my standards and accepted she just didn't eat all that much.

As someone else said, make a note every day of what she's eating - after a week you might be surprised at just how much she actually eats.

It's really hard, though. Am still working hard on not creating tensions around food as I do worry about her eating and pickiness. Am just glad she goes to nursery 3 times a week because she will eat anything there!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now