Talk

Advanced search

Banging head in cot

(7 Posts)
Joneseygirl77 Sat 06-Jun-15 15:33:41

My DD (14mo) has decided to start banging her head on the ends of her cot when we put her down for a sleep. She's started doing it at nap time as she's going to sleep and also when she wakes up in the morning. It's only started in the last week or so but I'm worried about her buying herself. Her cot has solid wood ends and she's in a grobag so she's crawling all around her cot and generally thrashing round.

Any tips or is it a phase and it will go away? xx

Joneseygirl77 Sat 06-Jun-15 21:00:19

Anyone?

mimili Sat 06-Jun-15 21:14:54

My little boy is also 14 months and does this on and off. I think it's related to really busy days when he is over tired. Apparently it's not uncommon at this age and is done to sooth themselves.

Just make sure you keep checking the screws don't come loose every week or so.

Joneseygirl77 Sat 06-Jun-15 21:29:39

Thanks mimili. Good tip re the screws.

Glad we're not on our own I'm so worried about her poor head and if she's doing any long term damage as she's giving it a good thump. Strangely she doesn't cry when doing it so assume it can't be causing her pain.

She's gone into another wonder week/ developmental leap this week so wondering if it's linked to that?

Lovelise Sat 06-Jun-15 21:42:46

Hiya. I read somewhere not long ago that rhythmic head banging can be a way to soothe themselves.

My DD does this weird kind of thrusting. Especially in the car seat. She HATES the car seat!

Joneseygirl77 Sat 06-Jun-15 21:46:56

Yep we've got a car seat hater here too. Makes for uncomfortable long journeys as she doesn't always fall asleep. I tend to drive back from nursery at super speed singing nursery rhymes and generally looking like a mad woman! Hoping it improves next month when she goes forward facing.

Newmama11 Sun 07-Jun-15 22:04:32

Do you have a travel cot? If your really worried about her hurting herself you could use the travel for for a bit. They tend to have soft mesh sides so won't hurt her head if she bangs against it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now