Talk

Advanced search

Potty training - Day one is over, does this sound ok?

(13 Posts)
Mindymum Thu 04-Jun-15 00:21:37

My dd is 3yrs 2 months. She talks about weeing on the toilet ALL the time, is happy wearing knickers, knows what the toilet is for etc
So today we made a start. From about 9.30 to 1:45pm she was was dry. I took her to the toilet regularly and although she sat on the toilet she didn't do anything. Each time she had a good look to see if anything was coming out.
Then at about 1:45pm, she wet herself whilst sitting on the sofa. She was aware as she said 'it's alright, it doesn't matter'. So I took her to the toilet, changed her knickers etc (still nothing on the toilet). She then stayed dry for the rest of the day.
At about 6pm, she asked to have a bath (hates baths, usually). But I think she took this opportunity to have a wee in the bath. Then I put a nappy on her afterwards as she was going to bed and within 10 mins she'd had a poo. I know it's only day one, but does she sound ready? I don't want to push her but feel that she definitely has the control and the knowledge, just lacks the confidence to go on the toilet. But think once she does that first wee, she'll be almost there.

tumbletumble Thu 04-Jun-15 07:37:34

For day one that sounds pretty good to me! Keep going, she's doing fine.

Hawest1 Thu 04-Jun-15 08:18:54

That sounds brilliant for a first day! My DS had bother doing number 2 in toilet or potty for a while, he would wait until his bedtime nappy went on aswell. You just have to stick at it, keep asking, keep taking trips to the toilet, maybe try the potty too? Some kids prefer the potty over the toilet & vide versa. Maybe also try a reward system? It never worked with my son but my friend tried it with her DD, she would get a bit of chocolate (left over Easter egg) & a star sticker after every time of using the toilet/potty properly. Good luck! It sounds like your doing a great job tho!

Lndnmummy Fri 05-Jun-15 15:39:26

Sounds great for her first day

Addictedtocustardcreams Fri 05-Jun-15 16:16:10

DD weed all over the floor on day 1 when I potty trained her recently. Sounds like you have done much better!

Addictedtocustardcreams Fri 05-Jun-15 16:16:27

She is doing great now by the way

Mindymum Fri 05-Jun-15 18:33:20

Thanks for your replies. Today is day 3 and so far nothing on the toilet or potty. She's holding it and had a few accidents, she said she wanted a poo at about 3pm and finally did one in her knickers at about 5. So she's definitely got control. She went to pre school this morning and was dry for the whole time.
The positives are, that she's still keen to wear knickers and more confident sitting on the toilet. Think I'm just going to have to keep going.
I begrudge putting her back in nappies now!

ArriettyMatilda Fri 05-Jun-15 22:47:59

I can't comment on how well she's doing as my dd is not at that stage yet, however we have been giving her the opportunity to use the potty for a while now. I sometimes run the tap and this seems to encourage her to wee, perhaps you could try the same. Also shutting the door when she needs to poo helps, as I think she likes to do it in private! We also read on the toilet and I think that helps to relax them a bit, as there is no pressure to perform as such. Sounds encouraging that she wants to be in knickers and I wish you luck.

Crazyqueenofthecatladies Sat 06-Jun-15 08:49:15

So she didn't manage a single wee on the toilet on her first day, or for three days subsequently? No she's absolutely not ready. Poos can take a while but I'd expect them to wee at least once, (and preferably 2-3 times) on a potty or toilet right from day one. If not then it's just the wrong time. Almost all the people who go on about the awfulness of potty training start their kids too young. Left til they're ready there's hardly any cleaning up at all.

tumbletumble Sat 06-Jun-15 18:47:30

Well, I think it depends whether you want to do it in the shortest possible time or whether you just want to get them out of nappies! My 3 DC were all relatively young and took a good few days to get the hang of it - but I hated nappies and didn't mind it taking a bit longer. They all got the hang of it eventually!

How did she get on today OP?

EvilSidekick Sat 06-Jun-15 19:07:17

OP your DD is doing great. From what you say it sounds as if she has good bladder control and that is a huge advantage. We potty trained DS at age 3 (having tried twice before at 2 and 2.5 but he was having accidents every 45 minutes). When we tried at age 3 he could go about 1.5hrs between wees and he got potty training within a week although continued to have odd accidents up to age 5. We recently potty training DD age 2. She can go 4-5 hours without a wee and after 2 days and only a couple of accidents is reliably dry during the day. It will come and fast I think given she can control her bladder. Good luck.

poocatcherchampion Sat 06-Jun-15 19:11:58

Her bladder control sounds good but not a single wee in the loo or potty doesn't sounds great.

I think you need to go all out to make that happen:
- loo or potty choice
- leave her to it for privacy
- garden wees if you are up for it

If she doesn't do one I'd also say she will have to wear nappies again and put them on after an incident in pants.

I think she could do it but you need to push her over the finishing line.

MrsRSharpe Sat 06-Jun-15 19:13:44

We potty trained at about the same age as DD hadn't shown any interest beforehand. There were loooong gaps between wees - I think at this age they do have better bladder control than when you're training at 2.5, say, so you get less accidents.

Just encourage her to keep trying the loo, even if she doesn't go. The only issue is holding it in too much. But DD can certainly go hours without peeing sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now