Talk

Advanced search

how do you convince a toddler to use a different sort of dummies? Desperate!

(9 Posts)
car0line123 Wed 03-Jun-15 19:15:49

My child uses his dummy to fall asleep, and during the night when he wakes up. He only cries for us if he really cannot find one. (we leave a few in his bed)

Unfortunately (and stupidly, but insight is such a wonderful thing...) he is only using one kind of dummies. They have now been discontinued by Tommee Tippee. To cut a long story short, I have no replacement and as he chews his dummies a little bit, the current ones will soon be completely shredded.

I have bought all sort of different brands,and shapes. He is absolutely refusing to use any of them. I don't know what to do. He seems far too young to give up dummies entirely, cries if he is given another kind during his nap.

Does anyone has any suggestion that could help? I am really lost, and furious against Tommee Tippee, but what can I do?

TIA to anyone who could help, I am desperate.

tea4two4three Wed 03-Jun-15 20:01:30

Lol, I feel your pain. My LO will now only use MAM dummies. Good because they are still in stock, bad because they cost a blimmin fortune!
No advice I'm afraid. My LO knows that once it has a hole in it goes in the bin and he gets a new one. He's never been too fussed, until we got the MAM ones. I thinks it's just going to be a case of cold turkey and a couple of sleepless nights...or get yourself some silicone earplugs ;-) x

Nads12 Wed 03-Jun-15 22:07:34

You can still buy them on eBay but they are more expensive!! I got desperate and had to my dd wouldn't take any othershmm xx

lisaloulou84 Wed 03-Jun-15 22:14:32

Which ones is it OP? The airstyle by any chance? I found that I couldn't get them anywhere this past couple of months and now they've reappeared with new designs...

car0line123 Thu 04-Jun-15 07:53:13

It's the "closer to nature", old style. I bought some on amazon and ebay, and even ordered them when they made a quick come back on TT website, but they messed up my order, and by the time they apologised, they were out of stock for good.

I bought some airstyle ones, but they are slightly different, so he is refusing them.

It did not cross my mind that the dummies would disappear, but it's too late now. So crossed! I am trying every kind of dummy on the market at the moment (my sleep is priceless)

We'll have to just stop them, but I was really hoping to wait until he is old enough to understand he is saying goodbye.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 04-Jun-15 07:57:07

How old is he OP?

Unreasonableandpetty Thu 04-Jun-15 08:02:04

How old is he. Is he old enough to understand it is this or nothing? I had the same problem with dd and ds1. Ds chose nothing ds chose this. Tbh if he really won't take another one and will whinge anyway I'd be tempted to just try and take it away completely rather than the pain of readjusting to another one then all over again if you do decide to take it away.

Nads12 Thu 04-Jun-15 22:40:30

What age do you need?? I have a 0-3 month box of 3 unopened xxx

adoptmama Fri 05-Jun-15 09:00:38

Why not simply use this as an opportunity to ditch the dummy now? You say he is a toddler so there is no real need for it. Round up all the dummies, leave them out one night for the 'dummy fairy' to collect for the new babies and have the fairy leave some kind of big boy gift as a thank you. You might have a night or two of weeps but he will adapt quickly once the habit is broken (and all it is, is a habit).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now