Talk

Advanced search

Toddler bites

(5 Posts)
MistletoeBUTNOwine Tue 02-Jun-15 19:12:31

Today my DS age 16 months got quite badly bitten by his little buddy (18 months).
It was on his cheek, left a complete set of teeth marks and broke the skin a bit. A few hours later it is bruised and sore looking. sad
The toddlers were being supervised by me and buddy's mum, initially I thought DS has just been clonked on the head or something. Anyway we both rushed over and picked up our dss.
The other mum says she feels really bad, has never bitten another child (but does bite her) and at 18m I don't think he really knew what he was doing?
DP is livid and says the other boy should have been really told off/ smacked because it's very bad to bite..

MistletoeBUTNOwine Tue 02-Jun-15 19:13:26

Posted too soon.
Just wondering what others' opinions are on this... Avoid other child?
Carry on as normal?

Nevercan Tue 02-Jun-15 19:50:05

A friends child did this and it was just a phase. We both hovered over them closely to make sure it didn't happen again - it is just a sign of frustration I think. She needs to make it clear to the child it is not acceptable and say a firm 'no biting'

MistletoeBUTNOwine Tue 02-Jun-15 22:13:54

Bump smile

wtftodo Thu 11-Jun-15 22:39:24

I understand your partners reaction but I think he is wrong. My daughter had a fleeting phase of biting me, and an ongoing phase of pushing other children. It's related to frustration and an extreme sense of personal space. Her nursery have been brilliant , and like a lot of stuff I've read, stressed that we should be emotional in our responses - "ow! That really hurt!" (and a heartfelt screech from me did instantly sort the biting...) but also try to be positive so "we are gentle with our friends, we don't bite we hold hands" for eg, rather than negative language like "no! Naughty, that's really bad" etc as then they get into the attention.. And still don't really understand the problem. They also say make a big fuss of the other child.

So my strategy is: a firm no, remove her slightly away with a "we are gentle with babies, we don't push", then a big "oh dear are you ok" fuss of the other baby, then return to mine to explain a bit more "you pushed x and now they are sad" then distract..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now