Talk

Advanced search

no tummy time

(13 Posts)
kitty1989 Tue 02-Jun-15 16:38:24

My DD is 12weeks today and hasn't really had any tummy time. I feel like this is my fault for not persevering with this as she always cried when we tried & have been put off attempting tummy time due to a whopping hernia (golf ball size) causing discomfort. When she is on tummy she can't push up with her arms & just shunts herself foward with her legs (very strong legs). She can hold her head up when upright & can sit up leant back against something.
Is it too late to start tummy time now or have we restricted her development already?

Thanksflowers

ApplesTheHare Tue 02-Jun-15 16:53:22

I wouldn't worry too much about it. HV's bang on about it mostly so babies aren't left lying on their backs for ages and don't get that flat head thing, but tbh until they're a bit older most of them just find TT upsetting! We didn't do any with dd until about 4/5 months as she hated it, and she's fine, developing normally, etc.smile

NoParking Tue 02-Jun-15 16:55:03

I've read somewhere that sling time counts as tummy time. Which was handy, as dd1 hated being in her tummy but spent a lot of time in the sling. She's turned out absolutely fine...

ppeatfruit Tue 02-Jun-15 16:55:17

Erm... when my dcs were babies there was no such thing as 'tummy time' when they rolled over, they rolled over, we never had to 'do' anything grin . IMO if she doesn't like it then don't do it. It sounds like she's really fine to me, don't worry at all!!!!

Oh and by the way they all went to uni (or were more than capable of doing so just didn't want to).

PomeralLights Tue 02-Jun-15 16:56:56

Aww please don't worry about it. And also it is never too late.

A good tip I got on here if your baby hates tummy time is to get them to do it on you. Lie on the bed with your shoulders/head slightly elevated. Put baby on your tummy face down. Often they will put up with that for much longer and have the great incentive of seeing your face when they lift their head!

PunkrockerGirl Tue 02-Jun-15 16:58:28

Same here pp*
No such thing as 'tummy time' when mine were little either!
They're strapping 23 and 19 year old lads now.

AGnu Tue 02-Jun-15 16:59:21

Neither of mine enjoyed being on their stomachs until they got to the stage where they could confidently roll back again if they wanted to. I left them to it. Most of the time they were being held/in the sling so it's not like they were lying on their backs all day. We've never had any concerns about their physical development. You really won't have restricted her development by not forcing her to do something that makes her cry! smile If she can hold her head confidently while upright & can sit while propped up then she sounds just perfect! flowers Must. Not. Get. Broody.

KanyesVest Tue 02-Jun-15 17:06:41

DS spent all bloody day quite a bit of time in his sling. The hv commented on how strong he was and had such good head/neck control. I nodded and smiled when she said we were doing a great job at tummy time. I strategically avoided mentioning him going bat shit for the 45 seconds I tried it before giving up completely.

kitty1989 Tue 02-Jun-15 17:08:30

Thanks for your replies

She's lifting her head when laid on me so I know I am being a bit irrational blush but that's easy to forget when you're constantly being told "you must do tummy time" etc. Should have listened to my mum instead of know-it-all HV

BertrandRussell Tue 02-Jun-15 17:10:24

Tummy time is just a new thing to make mothers feel guilty. Provided your baby doesn't spend all her time lying on her back she'll be fine. I bet you carry her, or put her in a sling - that all counts as "tummy time" anyway.

caitlinohara Wed 03-Jun-15 21:22:58

Oh Lord, don't bother. Mine all hated it and it just seemed mean. I think the point is so that they learn to roll/crawl early and who the bloody hell wants to encourage that?! confused

ppeatfruit Thu 04-Jun-15 07:26:34

True caitlinohara i always feel sorry for the parents and babies when they walk and or crawl 'too early' because all the LOs do is crawl under tables and then stand up and smash their heads !!

houghtonk76 Sat 06-Jun-15 08:03:41

KanyesVest, you are brill!! ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now