3yr old DS speech

(4 Posts)
Whereisyourblankie Mon 01-Jun-15 20:18:27

I wonder if anyone could offer any thoughts. My DS turns 3 in a couple of days. As far as I've been concerned, to this point, he's met all his milestones and developed as he should. As part of his regular report from his pre-school today, it was mentioned that although within normal limits for his age, his speech was at the 'bottom of the scale'.

I hadn't given any thought at all to his speech, he uses short sentences, you can have a very basic conversation with him and he uses simple adjectives and verbs. But after today I wondered if I'd been lulled into a false sense of security as actually, his diction is not that great. I can understand him but making himself understood with strangers, not so much!

I guess I'm asking if it's pretty normal for a 3 year old to have poor diction, and is it bound to improve with time? Or is it worth a trip to the HV?
Incidentally his 2.5yr check up with hv was fine with no concerns.

Thanks for reading and all advice appreciated.

MrsNextDoor Mon 01-Jun-15 22:12:03

It's always worth a trip to the HV or better yet, the GP...if he does need speech therapy...the waiting lists are LONG so it's better done sooner than later.

Jellyandjam Tue 02-Jun-15 11:07:40

It's worth getting it checked out and then you'll know for sure. It does no harm to find out.
My son had very unclear speech and did need speech therapy. The waiting lists can be long to best to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later as the previous poster said.

RhubarbAndMustard Tue 02-Jun-15 11:12:01

I would get a check to put your mind at rest, but don't be overly concerned, especially as your HV had no concerns. My DS had just turned 3 and the levels of speech development through him and his peers varies quite widely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now