Talk

Advanced search

Voices!

(11 Posts)
bestbefore2020 Fri 22-May-15 09:24:45

My 8 year old daughter had a horrible dream a few months ago, which really upset her. Now she is hearing 'voices' from the dream in her head during the day - they don't speak to her, she says it's just the screaming and scary laughing she heard in the dream. She says she only hears it when she's on her own and quiet, not at school or when she's occupied. When she comes over and says 'the voices in my head are back' and is clearly upset, it really worries me. Otherwise she's a very bright and happy child. Will this just go away or should I take her to see someone?

Crazyqueenofthecatladies Fri 22-May-15 10:13:34

I distinctly remember hearing the muttering of in distinct voices in my head for a couple of weeks when I was that age. Looking back it obviously freaked my parents out considerably, but it went and never returned. Gawd knows what it was...

Crazyqueenofthecatladies Fri 22-May-15 10:14:22

I realise my MN name might not be that reassuring grin though.

bestbefore2020 Fri 22-May-15 10:26:45

Ha ha - that's funny, cat lady.

BoobsAkimbo Fri 22-May-15 10:34:14

Dreams can stay with you for a long time when you're little - I remember a nightmare I had when I was 4 (now in my 40s) and the images still haunt me.

It does sound like a very scary dream!

meandmymuffintop Fri 22-May-15 10:40:00

my daughter heard voices quite a bit at around that age and we had it investigated by medics.

They said that at this age it was unlikely to be evidence of anything serious with reference to her mental health, as the brain isn't sufficiently developed for those kinds of psychosis things to appear. Apologies if this is a tack you hadn't even thought of - but if you had, I hope it's reassuring for you.

we never really got to the bottom of it, and she hasn't said it recently. Like crazy queen, I remember something similar myself.

Ferguson Fri 22-May-15 19:58:54

Could it possibly be some form of tinnitus? When you are quiet, there can sometimes seem to be 'sounds' in your head.

Fugghetaboutit Fri 22-May-15 20:04:36

It's probably a sort of vicious cycle - she was scared so when she's not busy she thinks of it and it pops in her head and keeps happening. Poor poppet. Lots of distraction, hope it passes

odyssey2001 Sat 23-May-15 07:11:12

I have this and it is anxiety related. Mine is linked to a dream I had twenty years ago so make of that what you will.

shiteforbrains Mon 25-May-15 22:04:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crazyqueenofthecatladies Mon 25-May-15 23:29:00

That's just the voice I had! Totally in distinct and muffled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now