Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me if this is normal?

(8 Posts)
NobleLocks Mon 18-May-15 09:43:42

I'm a lone parent to 2.5 year old DD.
She was amazing, still is but the last few weeks have been hell.
I'm a student nurse and she's in childcare 8-5 4 days a week. Nursery express no concerns she sees her dad every other weekend for 2pm sat until 5pm sunday. The drive is 2.5 hours each way.
I'm saying the background so I don't drip feed. Her dad says she's an angel.

Me, I'm having problems. I've never known tantrums like it, she kicks me andd scratches me. I put her down to calm down and is escaletes she gets more and more worked up.
Eventually she says sorry but I get the feeling she just says it. It's ridiculous, she doesn't listen, I can't get her dressed, to eat or anything . The only time she's nice is bedtime story , five minutes then it starts again./)3 won't go to bed, the screaming and tantrums start and I try to remain calm but it's frustrating

She's up every morning at 5am, ignores the gro clock.
She's repetitive in the five minute drive from nursery she might ask me 6o times (no exaggeration) what I am doing. Saying the question again whilst I'm still answering.

I just don't know if it's normal or if I should go and see the health visitor this morning?

answering

Iggly Mon 18-May-15 09:48:31

She seems normal to me. Well probably tired. And all the questions sounds like she needs extra reassurance because even though she sees her dad regularly, time is different to 2 year olds.

She takes it out on you because you are who she feels safe with. This is quite normal - my two will be good for others and play up for us at home. Although once they get to know someone they will play up for them too.

NobleLocks Mon 18-May-15 09:50:08

Thank you

She's always figiting too, like sitting on a chair or sofa but her feel are fiddling with the table legs. I find it so very annoying

BotBotticelli Mon 18-May-15 16:31:29

My DS is 2.5yo and sounds very similar! Emotional meltdowns and screaming tantrums multiple times per day, constantly asking the same question, really annoying!! And tiring/draining.

Only have experience of 1 toddler cos he is my first but sounds standard to me!

Ferguson Mon 18-May-15 22:59:29

Yes, I don't think it is anything that needs HV intervention yet.

Having a 2.5 yr old is probably never easy, and as her short life has already been disrupted by having Dad elsewhere, must be very confusing and unsettling for her.

Even if you could explain the whole scenario to her, she isn't mature enough to understand any of it; much older children might understand the words, but even they won't realise the emotional implications of separated parents.

Try to be consistent in your 'rules', but keep them as relaxed as possible, to minimise conflict. Give her as much TLC as you can manage.

NobleLocks Tue 19-May-15 13:42:24

After several nights of gone 9pm bedtimes and 4.30am starts I'm broken. I have to cuddle her to sleep.

NobleLocks Tue 19-May-15 13:45:24

This morning saw her break my new laundry basket and tip a bowl of cereal on the floor.
N
Spoke to exp, apparently it's all my fault.i do everything too early and
am lazy not bathing her every night.
I also am not strict enough and clearly should follow his routine. I'm a shit mum and p

NobleLocks Tue 19-May-15 13:46:17

Phone put down on me.

I wouldn't mind but my routine worked perfectly until every other Sunday she returns home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now