Advanced search

Non-Biological Child.. My rights?

(4 Posts)
DadsNet91 Mon 18-May-15 01:28:01

Completely new to this and have no idea if this is an appropriate place to ask but stuck for where to go for advice!?
Have been raising a beautiful 2.5 year old boy as if he were my own for the last 2 years, his mother and I have recently split up and she is refusing to allow me to see him?
I miss him terribly and don't know what to do/if i have any rights? Any advice much welcomed
thanks in advance

Mummyofonesofar Mon 18-May-15 10:53:29

Hi, I am really sorry to hear that but I think you do not have any rights at all if you are not biologically or legally connected to the child. Sorry.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 18-May-15 10:59:21

So sorry to hear this. You've effectively been a step parent. But step parents aren't protected by law unless they apply for a court order to cover them.

see here I don't know how much you can pursue this but the article implies to get a court order you have to have signed agreement off the birth parents with parenting responsibility.

NotSureThisIsWhatIWant Tue 19-May-15 18:09:56

I'm really sorry. You should be missing him terribly.

Other than what has been said, I would only suggest trying, when the time is right, to rebuld the trust between you and his mother so in time, she feels comfortable to see you as a friend and allow occassional contact.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: