anyone else with an unhappy 3 year old?

(3 Posts)
Misty9 Sun 17-May-15 13:35:15

Ds, 3.8, has never been an extrovert child but lately he just seems so unhappy. Doing anything with him is stressful and laborious as he won't walk any distance and constantly wants carrying. He goes from being mildly enthusiastic about suggestions (food, activities) and even sometimes obsessing about something mentioned, to outright rejecting it the next minute. It drives me potty! He's worse when hungry, tired or ill, but that leaves about 10% of the time!

I don't want him to think he has to be happy all the time - this was the message given to me as a child and I found it very unhelpful - but we just don't want him to be so unhappy sad

He has a one year old sister and lots of his behaviour recently is down to jealousy I think, but it's difficult not to respond more positively to her when she's a cheerful little thing in comparison!

Any suggestions? We're away with our friends and their same age kids at the moment and it's just miserable for all, especially as their little boy wants to play with ours.

Misty9 Sun 17-May-15 13:36:37

I should have said, it's not just rejecting things, he's tearful most the time, has tantrums a lot and is generally hard work!

monsterinc Sun 17-May-15 13:58:11

Watching with interest my three year old is exactly the same i feel awful about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now