Hitting out

(6 Posts)
lynne10 Fri 15-May-15 20:45:51

Hi there. I am looking for advice on how to deal with a 19 month old who has started to hit, bite, scratch and nip for either no apparent reason, thinks it's funny or when he doesn't get own way.
I collected him from daycare today and was told he has now started the same in there - obviously I was expecting this but still came as a shock when someone else is telling you about the behaviour of your own child.
Is the naughty step/spot to advanced for this age?
All advice welcome.
Thank you,
L

TandemFlux Fri 15-May-15 20:46:29

Walk away? Ignore

lynne10 Fri 15-May-15 20:53:03

He is a very head strong boy and believe it or not he would continue to follow until he is satisfied.
I am more worried about behaviour when I'm not there like in daycare. I want to tackle problem at home and then daycare can follow through hopefully.

HotSteppa Sun 17-May-15 11:53:32

We have the same issues here with 19m dd. Seems to be when shes excited or im finding more and more worried or uncertain. I found speaking to nursery manager about how they handle these incidents helpful as I wanted to be doing the same at home for consistency. Manager was ace and talked through qhat they do and why and really reassured me. They advised not giving too much reaction, intervene if you get chance and say calmy for example, I cant let you do that or scratching hurts and I don't think you want to hurt your friend/granny/mummy/cat hmm and give all the attention to the injured party if they do hurt someone, so they get bare minimum attention for this undesirable behaviour. It has helped although the past couple of weeks teething is back and she is at it again. was lying on the mat next to 4m old brother and I was thinking ah how lovely, next second shrieking from baby and I had to prise her jaws open off his little fingers shock angry . Sadly my calm words failed me at this point and I did raise my voice though not shouty shouting if you know what I mean, was shocked and upset myself. its tough but everyone keeps telling me just a phase.

TandemFlux Sun 17-May-15 18:07:33

Walking away and giving no attention is preferable to giving attention for poor behaviour

lynne10 Sun 17-May-15 18:40:02

In glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I know we never are the only one but at the time you feel like it. I think I was more embarrassed about being told about the incidents even though I knew it was coming as his behaviour at home has been getting worse. He is back at daycare on Wed so I can have a chat with his proper teachers then as they had already left when I got there in Friday. We having been concentrating in his bad behaviour over the weekend and his first reaction was to hit back, but now he just seems to look at me or dad for telling him off. Such a hard age as they aren't babies anymore nor are they big boys. We have been back with the teething again so hopefully once that passes the behaviour will improve aswell.
Thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now