Identifying ASD traits.

(9 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Fri 08-May-15 17:30:46

Can I just ask those of you who have a child who has been diagnosed with autism or any other condition on the spectrum, at what age did you initially start to have concerns about your child's development?

I only ask on behalf of a friend who in conversation talks about her DS (who will be two in July) and some of his behavioural traits that worry her but she won't seek advice as she thinks he's too young for the behaviours at actually mean anything so no HCP will be interested.

A colleague at work has a 12 year old DD who was diagnosed as having autism when she was six but my friend said in hindsight there were signs from a really young age that indicated that something just wasn't right.

At what age should a 'parents intuition" be listened to and taken seriously even if that child is still quite young?

Any advice or thoughts really appreciated.

fairgame Fri 08-May-15 19:19:35

I had niggles when DS was 3 and asked for support from the HV with his behaviour and she didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. It was when he started school that the shit really hit the fan as he just could not cope at all and the teachers picked up straight away that there was something wrong. He was diagnosed age 6 due to the ridiculous waiting times for assessment. Looking back there were signs from as young as 8 months old but as he was my first i didn't know any different.
It depends on what the concerns are and how badly affected the child is as to how seriously HCP will take parents concerns. DS is fairly articulate and only had slight delays with his development so nothing jumped out as seriously wrong until he started school. My friends little boy is severely affected, he was diagnosed at 2. He is now 8 and is nonverbal, not toilet trained and has severe learning difficulties. Some children who are bright, verbal and appear to be just on the 'edge' of fitting in don't get diagnosed until much later.
A lot of HCP seem to be wrongly under the impression that they cannot do anything until a child turns 3. I would advise your friend to contact the HV or GP and just discuss her concerns. If she gets turned away then at least her concerns are recorded so if she needs to go back in a few months they can see that things haven't changed.

PolterGoose Fri 08-May-15 22:08:55

You might find this thread interesting smile

If she has concerns the M-CHAT is the screening test for toddlers that HVs and GPs will generally take seriously.

HoppityVoosh Fri 08-May-15 22:12:11

Had suspicions at 6-12 months. Was almost certain before he was 2. He was.diagnosed at 3.

Do the M-CHAT online. I think you can adjust it for what age the child is.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 10-May-15 22:25:03

Thank you everyone, I will look at the M-CHAT.

My friend actually came round with her son earlier and they were here for about 1.5 hours and in that time he barely made a sound. He doesn't say a single word, he just grunts. He was also completely expressionless, he would stare at me but absolutely nothing I did could elicit any kind of facial reaction to me. I think this is one thing my friend is concerned about.

He hit my DS really hard because he wanted the toy my DS had and I can't say I was impressed with that but I know kids will be kids. My friend said her DS's temper and behaviour can be really bad at times in that he pinches, hits, slaps, pulls people's hair etc if he doesn't get what he wants. I thought that may be down to frustration though because he cannot vocalise his feelings.

I guess it's just so hard to know what's normal and what isn't seeing as children hit developmental milestones at all different ages.

DixieNormas Sun 10-May-15 22:30:21

We don't have a diagnosis yet byt I knew at about 13 months

If hes not talking yet id speak to the hv, I spoke yo mine when ds was about 20 months. first thing was a hearing test thrn she referred to slt just before he turned 2. Slt also thought asd and wrote to the gp who referred to a pediatrician

Writerwannabe83 Sun 10-May-15 22:51:13

Wow, 13 months is early. What concerns did you have?

In our area of the country the development check isn't fine until 2.5 years old (sometimes nearer 3 years) which is another 6 months away minimum for my friend.

fatballerina Sun 10-May-15 22:55:05

10 months I suspected even though everyone was telling me I was imagining it-at just 2 she was referred for SLT during thec1st meeting the therapist voiced her concerns and she got referred for assessment diagnosed at 39 months with HFA.

DixieNormas Mon 11-May-15 00:04:42

one of the main thing was he stopped speaking, he had a few words but just stopped. He didnt play with toys, had no none verbal communication so didnt wave , point bring things to show us.

Didnt like the car or pushchair to the point of being really distressed, didnt like being out the house, he could tolerate qbout an hour but after that would get distressed and have to be taken home

He had lots of stimming behaviour that got worse between the age of one and now (hes 2.3) first was spinning round in circles under the lights, hand flapping, walking around wiggling his fingers in front of his eyes, repetitive noises and stiffening his body when hes excited. He doesnt like loud noises, high pitched sounds and covers his ears. He likes clocks, he shouts and stiffens at the ticking hand bit like hes counting with it, same with the washing machine he loves the spinning

As a baby he needed very little sleep, still doesnt. We had problems weaning as he didnt like food and only started drinking out of a cup and eating finger foods at about 14 months

He used to balance things like his brothers cars on the stair gate and fire guard. Everything goes in his mouth and he climbs and runs everywhere. He cant be left alone for a minute as he has no sense of danger at all. His favourite at the mo is climbing on the tv stand and pulling at the tv.

He has no interest in other children, its like they arnt even there. He plays with his bricks now and anything with wheels. He lines his cars up on the windowsil as its just the right height for him to watch the wheels go round.

He has just learnt to clap and he now takes my hand and leads me to where he wants to go, usually outside, he can sign eat and brings his cup when hes thursty, so his none verbal communication is comming on but weve been working really hard at it

Hes my 4th so I could just see that his developement was different to his brothers, although until one he hit all his mile stones on time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now