Talk

Advanced search

4 yo In a world of her own.

(9 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Thu 07-May-15 09:47:33

Anyone have any tips on how to help. Here is an example, going into pre-school in the morning everyone waits ouside until the door is open then parents and children go inside to the cloakroom to hang coats on pegs etc then the children go into nursery. Most of the children rush in, some have to be coaxed in the door but once in the door take coats off etc. Dd would stand outside staring at the world going past if I didn't tell her numerous times to into nursery and almost guide her through the door. Same when we get into the cloak room I have to almost micromanage everything or she would just stand staring into nursery with her coat on not actually doing anything.

I know it's not a huge issue but I'm worried for dd as she starts reception in September.

MrsNextDoor Thu 07-May-15 10:16:38

Have the staff indicated if she's ok or not during the time there? Have you spoken to them about it?

DeathMetalMum Thu 07-May-15 10:47:34

She loves her time at pre-school, I have no concerns there, she is always disappointed when it's not a 'nursery day'. I only mentioned that as an example as it's one of the few comparisons I have. Dd is like this getting ready to go out, eating dinner etc. I haven't mentioned it to pre-school yet (she is off today due to the school being a polling station).

MrsNextDoor Thu 07-May-15 10:50:39

Ask the teachers whether she's engaging properly when it's time to focus on certain tasks...for instance...does she go to wash her hands when told? Will she happily begin tidying up? She may love her days there but if yo have specific concerns then the best thing to do is to check how she is when you're not about.

ImperialBlether Thu 07-May-15 11:16:29

Have you had her hearing checked?

Would you describe those periods as 'absences'? Does she have them at home, eg if you and she are doing something together, does she go off like that, or is it when she's having a moment to herself?

DIYandEatCake Thu 07-May-15 22:56:50

My dd (4) is exactly the same. I have to chivvy her along into hanging her coat up, putting her book bag in the box etc or she would just stand there too! I was the same as a child though, all my school reports up to about age 8 call me a 'daydreamer'. I know my dd is better when I'm not there.

purplemurple1 Thu 07-May-15 23:28:39

Is ti´´it random times that she isnt engaged? could it be grand mal, a type of epliepsy?

DeathMetalMum Sun 17-May-15 10:52:28

Thabks for all of the replies dd2 has had a bad d&v bug this week so sorry I haven't replied earlier.

I don't think she has moments of 'outage' particularly I do just generally think it is daydreaming. She's often falling over because she's watching people on the other side of the road and what they are doing/saying. I haven't had chance to talk to teachers yet either due to d&v bug . I haven't had her hearing checked but I might look into it. Generally at home she is quite bad at listening though I've always thoght of it as her daydreaming again ie she will trace a pattern around on the wall/floor/door even in her head it seems sometimes than listen to what is being said.

anjf Sun 17-May-15 12:51:17

What about getting her eyes tested? My son was tripping alot, turned out he needed glasses. Hearing - well does she shout at you saying 'I can't hear you?' or speak quite loudly? , or appear to not hear what you are asking? My sister's child was like this - she needed gromits fitted. Your daughter, like you say, may just be a dreamer and will do all the things you mention herself eventually. But children do seem to behave differently when their mum is present, they maybe rely on us more than they need to. I agree that the teacher and staff at the nursery have seen many children and would say to you if any of her behaviour raised red flags in their eyes. If no probs with eyesight or hearing, keep an eye on how she develops and ask your friends who know her what they think. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now