7 months old "head dropping"

(6 Posts)
Frarling Sat 02-May-15 12:03:03

Hello - I hope you can reassure me a bit! My 7 months old DS sits up without support even for a fairly long time, rolls over when he wants, and bears some weight on his legs. However, when on his tummy he just lifts his head very briefly then drops it, and sometimes he drops his head forwards when on the Jumparoo, and (although rarely) when on the highchair. It just looks as if his head feels too heavy and needs a rest. He's not a big fun of tummy time, but then again his big brother wasn't either and was a bottom shuffler (and so was I).

DS does have a massive head, almost off the scale. I wonder if this has got something to do with it. But it just looks strange!

purplemurple1 Sat 02-May-15 18:57:35

Mine DS struggled with holding his head up, he also had/has quite a large head, of course its hard to say with out seeing him if its OK though.

Does he drop it uncontrolled, or put it down for a rest? Does he seem happy, sad, shocked when it drops forward?

Frarling Sun 03-May-15 16:31:42

Hi, thank you for your answer. It seems a slow controlled movement which doesn't bother him. He seems to be doing it a lot when he's tired.

purplemurple1 Mon 04-May-15 04:07:35

Sounds like its just a new skill he syruggles with when he is tired. Can you put him in a seat where he can rest his head at those times or take it as a cue to put him to bed

bakingtins Mon 04-May-15 22:30:09

Can you film it and show your HV? I am probably paranoid because my daughter has infantile spasms ( type of epilepsy) which started at 8 months and her first few seizures, which we didn't recognise, were head drops lasting about 1-2 seconds. Has he always done it or is it new? If nothing else HV might give you some tips on improving head control, if that's all it is.

Fresh01 Thu 07-May-15 12:07:05

Can you put a mirror in front of him when he is on his tummy? One of my DC wasn't keen on tummy time until we get a mirror on a slight angle and she could see us kneeling behind her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now