Talk

Advanced search

How should I react when toddler throws things at me? please tell me it's a stage!

(7 Posts)
milkyman Sat 02-May-15 07:45:37

My 2.5 DS has started hitting and throwing heavy objects at my head. It is only at me and generally he's sweet natured, i think he does it when he's tired. i shout no, you must not do that, it hurts mummy and makes her sad - say sorry etc.

I am finding it hard to stay patient and yesterday I burst into tears which has probably made it a fun game. He does say sorry though.

What should I do to nip it in the bud? It has only been this week.

Did the tears make him stop? I find that if DD hits me, I pretend to cry and then she says, "Oh...sorry Mummy!" and gives me a cuddle.

You might need to implement a time-out chair/step/area for when he does it?

Someone with better advice will come along I am sure! thanks

It's tough, though, isn't it? DD just turned 2 and I am finding her a handful!!

StormyBrid Sat 02-May-15 08:52:11

No suggestions for the hitting, but on the throwing, I operate a 'you throw it, I take it away' policy. Balls and soft toys may be thrown, but anything else goes on top of the fridge out of reach until the next day. It's been quite successful. DD still occasionally throws things when she's in a strop, but far less than she did a few months ago.

peggyundercrackers Sat 02-May-15 09:10:10

Just keep telling him no, they grow out of it eventually...

AlternativeTentacles Sat 02-May-15 09:15:31

Take the thing off him if he does it?

And if he looks like he is about to hit you, cup his hand in your flat hand and guide it away from your head and say 'Come on show me what you are playing with' or make a stroking movement and say 'so nice of you to stroke mummy's head'.

Cobo Sat 02-May-15 09:31:55

DS went through this stage, and the "you throw it I take it away" approach worked for us too. I'd immediately put the object somewhere high up but visible so that he could see the consequence. Also, moving away from him and not interacting at all for a few minutes means you're not rewarding the behaviour with attention. Used to give me a chance to get my annoyance under control too!

EatDessertFirst Sat 02-May-15 14:29:59

Definately get up and walk away if he goes to hit you. He'll learn that he gets nothing from doing it.
Whatever he throws, take it away. Maybe also try giving him something he is allowed to throw. My DS went through the throwing stage and we gave him a shoebox full of newspaper balls that he was allowed to throw. Again, he'll get bored at the lack of reaction and either stop or embrace throwing without hurting/breaking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now