Talk

Advanced search

Disciplining nearly two year old - what approach to take?

(3 Posts)
Kismet9 Thu 30-Apr-15 15:39:00

Hi there,
I'm looking for some advice on managing my 23 month old son's behaviour. He is a lovely, bright, forward, but very lively and wilful little boy. He is full of energy and is often running around, climbing, grabbing things he shouldn't, etc. I do wonder if he's a bit hyperactive. This is fairly manageable in the home but when we're out, he can be very hard to control. We just went to a local library group and whilst all the other children were joining in the songs, he was running away constantly, off down the aisles, trying to go behind the counter, going for the IT equipment. It was a bit embarrassing and I am not sure how best to manage this. Should I be putting him on the "naughty step", enforcing time out, or taking him home? I am starting to think maybe it's best just to avoid these kinds of environments, which would be a shame as he enjoys the social interaction. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I have started introducing the naughty step at home but this has mostly been used when he's been really naughty such as when he's bitten me.
Many thanks in advance!

morethanpotatoprints Thu 30-Apr-15 15:48:59

hello, he sounds quite normal to me, he just doesn't like sitting down.
There's plenty of time for this when he starts school and seriously I would just let him be the toddler he is.
As far as the biting is concerned, with all 3 of ours I bit them back.
They didn't do it again. Not that I expect others to like this approach, but it worked for us and we never had anyone complain they'd bitten a child.

grizzlegrumps Thu 30-Apr-15 21:08:47

Similar age to my second son and it sounds quite normal. My first was the angel that would sit (and still does) through books etc. DS2 is a loon.

I love him for it though! Once you learn to channel it and take him to things where he can explore, satiate his curiosity, then it's fine. We spend a lot of time outdoors and it suits his personality. Also go to toddler gym etc.

Really wouldn't bother with naughty step. Just remove from whatever situation you're in and ignore them. Turn away etc. And then TONS of praise when they help, do things kindly etc.

Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now