Talk

Advanced search

18 month old can speak some days and not others?

(7 Posts)
ChampagneBabyCakes Thu 30-Apr-15 11:57:45

I hope I have nothing to worry about, but some days my 18 month old can speak very well - last night he held up his bath towel and said 'Mama, what is that?' but other days he can't say anything at all. He will make sounds and 'talk' as if he is telling you a story, but it's just sounds.
If he does say something like 'cheese' or 'pasta', chances are he will NEVER say it again.
At first my husband didn't believe he could talk, until one day he pointed at the light and said 'put it on'.... but then went straight back to noises.
Anyone else experiencing this? DS1 learned to talk by repeating everything over and over... DS2 is so different, no repetition at all.
Do I have to worry about this?

ppeatfruit Thu 30-Apr-15 13:15:10

No I wouldn't worry and I wouldn't compare your dcs because they all develop in different ways; the main thing is that he IS talking and that his brain just needs to 'process' the words, new information, for a day while he goes back to being a baby grin. He's very young remember.

If you think about a lot of dcs continue to cry to show they're upset even after they can actually TELL you why, it's all a process of development. he'll be fine.

ChampagneBabyCakes Thu 30-Apr-15 17:27:36

Thanks, I know it's sensible not to compare - they are totally different, but with DS2's unusual speech development I just couldn't help it.

It's good to be reassured! Thanks again

ppeatfruit Fri 01-May-15 10:23:55

He's going to be an unusual little fella ! You're very welcome grin

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 01-May-15 10:49:12

My ds is 21 months and is exactly the same with saying a word or phrase once and then won't say it again for weeks. (Or ever, As I thought until recently)
He's talking a lot more in the last couple of weeks and talking more in front of dh and other people. Where as before he mostly only talk in front of me.

ChampagneBabyCakes Fri 01-May-15 16:05:43

Thanks Yellowsnow, looking forward to 21 months now.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Fri 01-May-15 20:07:07

I have nothing to compare how he is learning to talk as he is my pfb. So didn't really think it was odd that you can have a short conversation with him then he will just make noises for the rest of the day, or he just follows instructions instead of answering.
As an example at 11 months he said "want a drink" and never said that phrase again for about 6 months. So I'm guessing it's all stored in his head and it will all come out eventually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now