Talk

Advanced search

7 year old forgetful and falling over...

(7 Posts)
Feellikerubbish Tue 17-Feb-15 13:00:39

My 7 year old boy seems forgetful quite often. He's bright and school report mentions he can be easily distracted sometimes and find it hard to focus at times but he is on track. He enjoys reading and reads well.

Is it normal to be forgetful at this age? He was typing in a code on the computer while i called it out to him, he forgot which letter was Q and asked if it was "yur" as in 'Y'. While doing sums with me, he asked me how to write the number 10, if it's 01 or 10!

On a number of occasions recently while walking, he has fallen over out of the blue, not tripping over anything but just falling over.

Also, he urinated a little in his pants yesterday, this was just after actually going to the toilet and i put it down to him being excited as we went out to visit a place he likes.

It might all be nothing to worry about but i am starting to get a bit concerned and wanted to hear other mums opinions or experiences.

Thanks

matchstickpopper Tue 17-Feb-15 15:31:10

The only thing I can think of that it might possibly be is dyspraxia (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dyspraxia-(childhood)/Pages/Symptoms.aspx) . My little sister has it and as a child her symptoms were quite similar to what you are describing. However she was also a really slow bloomer and as your say your DC is bright and doing well at school I'm sure it isn't that.

I expect it's totally fine but maybe take him to the GP, for your own peace of mind if nothing else!

Killasandra Tue 17-Feb-15 15:32:57

Very much sounds like dyspraxia

ggirl Tue 17-Feb-15 15:36:21

if this behaviour is new I would get him checked out by GP

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Tue 17-Feb-15 16:20:05

Get him referred for dyslexia traits. The clumsiness can all be part of that. Forgetting the way numbers look and doing the b/d reversal thing might also be too. DT2 was referred on a course at hospital to get his mobility with a pen up to scratch. They do things like push ups (it isolates the shoulder muscles), rolling a marble between thumb and first 2 fingers to strengthen ligaments. The English alphabet has a lot of similar letters - a circle with a stick - p, b, d, q,g. Look up dyslexia friendly font as they print them slightly different. My DT2's name begins with I but some in fonts look like l. I can understand where he was coming from.

Callooh Tue 17-Feb-15 16:28:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Poppyshouse Tue 17-Feb-15 17:15:14

Had similar with DC, including the falling over bit - was literally tripping over own feet a couple times a day. Took DC to the doctors who found nothing and just advised to monitor and symptoms disappeared a couple of weeks later as quickly as they started (never found out what caused them).

I second the possibility of either growth spurt or dyspraxia being the cause of the problems in your DS's case but would nonetheless make an appointment with GP to look over him just to be on the safe side.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: